Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started putting my 87 YJ back together. I have the stereo in and now when I push in the lighter plug the stereo quits. When I pull it out, it turns back on. The fuses are fine. What is the problem. Am I taking too much power from the one constant hot wire??

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Here's one for ya, on my 89 Wrangler,when the stock radio was in its original location, if I would dim the insrtument lighting the Radio would die. Like the previouse post suggeted run a new fused power source to your stereo, a seperate ground wouldnt hurt if you dont already have good ground. Its a good idea to run a ground distrubution block from the neg terminal on the battery to the unerside of the dash for a good ground source to all comunication equiptment.
Jeff,
89 Wrangler

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
on that ground issue.. you do not want to run your communication equipment to the same ground.. well have some bleed over. always run your cb, radio, and whatever else deals with frequencies.. on seperate ground and hot wires with their own fuses..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I like to put 2 or 3 grounds on the radio chassis if I have the room. Buts down on engine hummm in the speakers

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I run my all of my radio equiptment from a common distribution block for the ground. Basicly just a 4 ga. wire straight from the neg. side of the battery to one of those gold plated stereo dist blocks without the fuse holders.Then I run an individual 10/12 ga. wire from the dist block to the ground wire at the component,then ground the chasis to a local ground. Then I run individual(homeruns)fused power lines to each of the components,try never to coil extra power wire to reduce reactive inductance(X sub L). This system works great on my rigs. The YJ has a Galaxy DX55V 11 Meter, with a Texas Ranger 500w Amp, also a Sony ES head Unit,and a 200 w Soundstream amp. I dont have to run any filters(except diodes to the HP amps on my tow rig) and get no engine interference. The tow rig (F250 4x4) is wired up like a radio station,and although I have a few more grounding and power isolation components in place its still basicly the same set up, with good results.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regarding gounds...The best ground in the vehicle is the body its self. The obove problems are very common examples of bad grounds..... As for using seperate grounds for communications vs. other equipment, that will not make a difference...however, you do want to use seperate hot feeds and fuses.

One of the best ways to beef up your electrical system and prevent ground and feed issues is to power all of your high current gear off relays. The relays should be feed directly (via a fuse or CB) from the battery. You would be surprised how much brighter your headlights are if you use the headlight switch to energize a relay that in turn engergizes the headlights.

The second trick is to run a heavier ground wire from the battery to the body.

On my jeep I take the hot feed for all accessories right off the hot side of the starter solenoid. My ground then has extra heavy wires going to both the engine and body. One last thing...its a good idea on any vehicle over 10 years old to pull of both power and ground connections and clean them. Also, examine any crimp connections and look for oxidation. I usually solder mine.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Thats a very good point DDawg,
Which leads to another question. I have about 7 relays screwed into place i the engine compatrment along the top of the fender on the passenger side. Although I have kept the installation very neat it starting to get congested with all the wires. I run all of my lights off of relays this allows me to keep the switches overhead in the roll cage but not have to run many heavy power wires,(one for the CB and one to a dist. block for the small 12v signals from the switches to the relays). I run 2 rear lights,2 lower fronts, 2 upper fronts 2 front rock lights and 2 rear rock lights, plus an ARB compressor. Does any one make an intergrated relay board with 6 relays? I have looked through marine catalogs etc, with no luck. They address fuse blocks and Cicuit breakers, but not relays boards. It would deffinitely make the wiring less confusing to someone else(Im kind of used to it since I wired it)trying to isolate an electrical problem, and make a cleaner looking engine compartment.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.