Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a replacement set of Stewart Warner gauges--fuel and temp for my 85CJ7. The original fuel gauge has three posts: sender, ignition, and a third where a jumper connects and delivers voltage to the temp gauge. The new fuel gauge only has two terminals: sender and ignition. Does the the new jumper connect the ignition terminal of the fuel gauge to the ignition terminal of the temp gauge? That's what I assume, just want to make sure before I fry a gauge.

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I have installed the new replacement Stewart Warner (CV gauge to BI - Torque II conversion kit) Chrysler NO: 4740791. If this is the same kit you have, then the information I have should work for your kit. I did my gauge conversion on my 80 CJ5 over a year ago. WOW, everything works great!
As I remember the directions provided in the new gauge kit were very good! I took an extra step and removed the battery cables from the battery before I started working. Just wanted to make sure I did not short something out. To answer your question, I just re-read my directions. "Place jumper strap from 'I' terminal of fuel gauge to 'I' terminal of temp gauge."
My personal advice would be, "Do Not Install the conversion kit unless you have the complete INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS sheet" If your kit did come with the instructions then take it back.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
There is no voltage regulator in the SW replacment set.
My new SW set included a short, black jumper strap and instructions to connect it between the I of the fuel gage and the I of the temp gauge, then put the original hot wire feed on the fuel gauge's I terminal.
This feeds 12V. to both gauges unlike your OEM setup who's temp gauge needs reduced voltage supplied by the innards of the original fuel gauge.
Just disconnect your battery so you do not accidentally touch the 12V feed to a sender (S)terminal. The kiss of death.

JAF

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Chris-
Will you do me a favor?
Look at the diodes (those little brown cylinders visable from the back of your new SW gauges)between the two terminal posts.
These have bands of colors on them.
Are the bright gold colored bands on yours towards the bottom of the gague?
Any how, I removed the posts and diodes on mine because I could not easily get the gauges to unplug from the plastic bases and I may have mixed up the orientation of these resistors.
I'd really appreciate it if you would take a look at yours and tell me which end the final bright gold colored band orients towards.

JAF

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, on the temp gauge the brightest band [what looks like silver, or gold or white] is towards the bottom--the large, brown colored band is towards the top. Yet on the fuel gauge they're reversed.

Hope this helps.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.