Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta finish getting ready to go to FabFest! Thought I'd flat tow my rig. Got the tow bar, getting the hitch. But where do I tie into the wiring harness for the brakes and directionals? I'm planning on wiring it sorta like a trailer; using the "flat four" connector usually found on trailers.

G

·
To make it easier you need a wiring diagram. Then you just buy some trailer wire with the plugs. Pull some excess of the wiring harness out into the engine compartment VIA. the KO plug right near the brake M/C. remove some of the wrap. Find thewires you need & tie onto them when your done your wiring and have tested them push the KO plug back into place, etc. I think I explained this on this BBS in detail about a year ago.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Wyld_Bill. I'll take a look in the morning at the wiring harness by the master cylinder. I can access the turn signal lights from there? I've got the manuals w/ schematics, that's not a problem. Couldn't find your previous post, I'll try a different search.

G

·
I used 3 of the flat4 plugs at the back of the Sami. One plug stays connected all the time and runs the reverse lights and amber turn signals. The second plug is connected when the Sami is on the road or trail. It runs the red parking lights, right & left brake lights, and the ground. The third is only half the plug and replaces half the second plug when she is being towed. The other end is connected to the tow vehicle. I just unplug one and plug in the other to switch between towing and driving. The only catch is the tow vehicle must use the brake light as the turn signal also.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i just did this for the melt

go to advance or walmart
i went to advance and bought a trailer wiring kit with lights for 22.00

mounted the lights to a pcs. of metal 2 feet long ran a bungee strap around the rollbar to the holes i drilled in each end. i had to add a ground wire from the connector to the lights because the floating ground would not work took me about 45 min. and it is portable so if you ever have to haul anything you can slap these lights on

·
Registered
495 Posts
Here is a link to a thread on the topic from April
http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthre...ffroadsuzuki&Number=744485&page=&view=&sb=&o=
The only thing about tapping into the wires in the wiring harness in the front is that your signal lights will be your brake lights on the Samurai using a 3/1 plug. I don't consider it too much of an issue - the lights work - just the wrong color (maybe someone on here knows if your brake lights have to be red by law - I don't know and wasn't able to find anything - although I didn't spend a lot of time looking either).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.