Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is the story. A while ago, when my jeep wasn't parked for an engine rebuild, I was returning from a rockclimbing trip to AL, I was driving down a coutry road after sunset with my lights on, headlights and two 100W lights on the front bumper. I stopped for gas, then got back on my way with out the 100W lights on. A couple of minutes later the lights quit. I pulled over and started checking things. My 100W lights worked, but not my headlights. I waited for a while and then they worked. I drove on. A couple of minutes later, lights out.

First of all let me say that I'm not real experienced with working with electrical stuff on my 87yj. When I installed the lights one of the wires that went to the switch came from a clip that went around one end of the fuse to my headlights. I am assuming that this caused the problem. Or my lack of electrical know/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gifhow.

has anyone had similar problems?
I'd like to remedy the problem before I get my YJ back on the road.
Thanks in advance

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/ MPI and 4.0 head underway

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quote:"When I installed the lights one of the wires that went to the switch came from a clip that went around one end of the fuse to my headlights."

I can't quite picture this. Are you saying that the power source for your auxillary lights comes from your headlight circuit? If so, that probably is the problem. It sounds like you are overheating the circuit and the breaker is tripping. Headlights don't use a fuse like other circuits do. They use a circuit breaker which resets itself once the short or in your case overheating condition is corrected. That would be why it worked once it cooled down and then happened again after a period of time. The power for the aux. lights should come directly from the battery to a relay which is switched from a switch on your dash and then to the lights. A relay is a heavy duty switch which is triggered (turned on and off) by another electrical power source. When you turn the switch on which is located in the jeep's interior it sends an electrical signal to the relay which says "let the power flow from the battery to the lights" and when you turn the switch off it says "cut the power from the battery to the lights". I know that this may not be easy to picture but it's the best I can think of. I wish that I knew of a website where you could see how your wiring should be setup with a relay. Hopefully someone else will do a better job of explaining it or know of a diagram on the net! Disconnect those new lights from your headlights and I would bet that your problem goes away.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I would bet a dollar against a day-old donut that SNOTOW is right on target.(GOOD POST, ST) You can go the the auto parts and get a kit for doing that very thing, a kit which has easy to follow instructions. By going to a relay under the hood or under the dash, you can provide those extra lamps the dedicated circuit that they really need. You CAN use the headlight circuit to energize the relay if you want to make the 100Ws come on with the headlights only./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless I've made 'em up myself.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I'll also make that wager/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. When you're buying the wiring harness CJDave mentioned, make sure to get one with 12 (preferably) or 14 gauge wire. Most kits use 18 gauge which isn't heavy enough for 100W bulbs. The wire will get hot and possibly melth through, this you don't want/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif. The 30 Amp relay is enough for the bulbs, but make sure you tape or cover each connection to avoid a grouding problem, paint-on electrical tape is good for this. Good luck.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the help./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif I'll head to the many auto stores in my area this weekend to see what I can find. And maybe to the library. I searched pretty extensively on the net for a resource and found nothing. Maybe I can find a book that illustrates how to set up a seperate relay, then I can post it.

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/ MPI and 4.0 head underway

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just finished wiring up two 100 driving lights. I bought a 4-pronged relay for around $9.00. Apparently there are a number of different priced relays around, but this one was supposed to handle 30 AMPs. The relays or the packaging that comes with the relay does a pretty good job of explaining the wiring schematic. I choose to wire the lights to a separate switch inside the cab rather than use the headlight switch. (1) Mounted relay on fenderwell relatively close to the starter selinoid. (2) Mounted the switch in the dash of the cab. (3) Then under the dash coming off the steering column - identified with a multimeter - a wire that was hot once the ingnition switch was turned on. (could have just used another hot wire, if I wanted lights on at any time, but wanted the safety of the switch being on. Also the ignition switch wire tends to be a heavier gage wire and I thought if any additional drain through that wire it should best be able to handle it) (4) between the ignition switch and the driving light switch, I placed an inline fuse (7.5) and ran the wire from ignition wire to switch. (5) From light switch I ran a 14 gauge wire to the relay mounted on the fender. (6) from the relay then ran a ground wire for this circuit. On a 4 or 5 prong relay the prongs opposite to oneanother are most often on the same circuit so to speak. (7) From the hot side of the selinoid I ran a 10 gauge wire to the relay. (8) from the other side of the relay, I then ran a 10 guage wire to the auxillary lights. (9) I then ran a ground wire from the auxillary lights.

Selinoid
|
from auxillary dash switch ----- ------ to ground
|
Auxillary lighting

Peace. Comments from electricians or electronic buffs.

Mindbender
CJ7 258

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.