Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As careful as I was, I still managed to crack my windshield when I put it back in last night (don't ask).

The local glass shop that has EVERYTHING tells me they don't even list a number for it. They're going to see if they can just cut one to fit, but I'm afraid its going to be a little expensive.

Does anyone have a part number or supplier handy? Or do y'all just have 'em cut when you need one? TIA.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey Andy,
I own a glass company, has been in the family for
43 years. Take your old windshield out, take it to a
glass company that can cut "flat laminated safety glass".
They should be able to cut you a new one by your old
one. If you were closer to me I'd fix you right up.
David "LoneWolf"

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. That's what I figured. What's a reasonable price for something like that?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Call around. I just replaced mine for 50 bucks. Some places listed it, others did not. None of them referenced it as a Commando. It was the 40's Jeepster or 66-73 Jeepster or C101.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang. You guys are killing me. So far I was quoted $170 to make one and $140 for pre-cut. That's with installation since I don't feel like breaking it again. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
had one cut, used tinted glass, installed, $100.00. years ago a member worked for gaurdian glass and when he needed to get a new windshield he found out that the original glass was a hair thicker than what's used today so he ordered it and than cut it to specs. Not sure if this is BS or not but mine was cut by a local shop and I have had no problem.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
YES....The newer glass is a hair thinner. It also has a tinting over the whole glass that I don't like. I liked the clear glass of the original. I did take the new glass to a glass place to get a new seal because of the thickness and the old seal was rock hard, 40 bucks. It was a pain to get in. I did it alone, but two people would have been perfect. You also need the little plastic lever that a glass place will give/sell you. Get a few just in case it breaks or gets cut. I also used silicone SPRAY to aid in installation. I also ran a bead of silicone SEALANT between the glass and seal and the seal and window frame. It didn't leak one bit this last winter. Now if I could just get Jim's window frame seal put in there would be no leaks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Glass I sell is the same thickness.....I have clear,
green tint, bronze tint, or gray tint. My 71 has factory
green tint in all the glass. If it has a film on it then
someone added it. Laminated Safety glass is what came in
them from the factory 1/4 thick. The rear hatch, and side
glass in the hard tops is 3/16 tempered safety glass.
LoneWolf

·
Registered
670 Posts
I went down to the oldest glass store in town and told the snippy young clerk what I wanted. After giving me the usual "Jeepster" eye roll he proceeded to explain to me that the windshield was not listed in his computer and therefore was not available. I kept after him to check his suppliers and he made several phone calls with no results. I explained that it was just a flat piece of glass, but he still insisted that it was not available. As I was walking out an old guy that had been watching the whole episode came over and told me to bring in the old windshield and he'd make one for me. It was ready two days later and he loudly charged me $35 to teach his son a lesson in customer satisfaction. I've done more business with this company and they have a loyal customer for life.

Chris in Texas

G

·
I have a windshield in a 67 that you can have for free its in Tampa, FL. I also have about 5 doors that you can have. I hate to see the stuff thrown out.
Ed

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think the hardest windshield that I have put in is the Jeepster. I bought a seal from Jeepsterman a couple of years ago, and the bottom corners were the hardest to do. The seal has that channel lock around it but
in the corners it was fused. I think I ended up using rope and a couple of tools to get it in. I would strongly
advise laying a ton of sealant both to the frame and to the windshield. I had a couple of leaks that made the winters tough. Nothing like foggy windshields with drops landing on the center console. Someday I will
get the Whole Jeepster waterproof inside................yeah right who am I kidding.......

·
Registered
560 Posts
Andy, the installation process is definitely tricky....the shop manual does show the procedure and tells you to make a small wooden tool, if memory serves.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup. Had one - or at least a plastic one. I actually cracked the glass while gently asserting pressure with my palm while I was working the last section of gasket. Surprised the heck out of me. No prying with screwdrivers or other standard no-no's.

I'm going to leave it to the pros next time. That way I won't have to buy another one when it breaks and I have someone to complain to when it leaks.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Dave, the '67 Deluxe convertibles had a gasket that incorporated a thin CHROME plastic/vinyl strip on the outward facing side, maybe 3/8" wide on face and same in depth, that I think was mostly decorative. My '69 and '70 didn't have it. My problem is finding this narrow strip which is necessary to keep the main gasket properly formed and rigid. The glass won't stay in there without it. Any ideas where to find this item?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.