Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an attempt to remove my windshield,the torx head bolts stripped (there's a news flash).I drilled the heads out to find out that the threaded plate that is in the windshield frame broke away and fell into the windshield channel that the wipers are in.Has this happened to anyone? any suggestions on how to reattach the hinge to the windshield.

78 CJ7 rebuilt 304/th400,quadratrac,YJ tub,2 1/2 susp.lift 32x11.50 bfg ( all in the making )

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
1. Nutserts.
2. Weld two nuts to a plate, pop rivet or rivet the plate to the winshield frame, from the inside (lots of work!).
3. Spot weld the nuts to the inside of the frame (hard to do).
4. Get a new windshield.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I myself have perfected the "windshield frame dance." It's a derivation of the ancient tribal rain dance, though done while holding the windshield frame over your head in your front yard, in clear view of all your neighbors. Basically you hop around on one foot and jiggle the frame until the little plate inside falls back in to place. Then you carefully start to thread new bolts (I used stainless) just a little to hold it in place. I then laid the the frame face down on sawhorses (actually my dryer and a trash can) and worked from underneath, using gravity to my advantage.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies

·
Registered
370 Posts
The plate is held in place with metal tabs. On my 90 YJ, after busting an extractor off in a stuck bolt, I got the plate loose, removed the wiper motor and fished the plate out through the opening. After removing the bolt, I used a thin stiff wire and screw drivers to reposition the plate and bend the tabs back. It was a pain, but I did it without removing the windshield.

jerry
87 Cherokee 4.0, 90 Wrangler 4.2, 95 Wrangler 2.5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts