Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a fullsize bronc, what is the best winch size to get. I have been looking at the warn setups, and I think I wanna get the enforcer bumper. Has anyone seen this bumper on a late 80's-early 90's bronc, I've seen them on f-150's but not on the bronc. Any recommendations are welcome. I don't plan on doin anything till later this year, so the info will be used. Thanks guys

·
Registered
975 Posts
I swear the Warn Enforcer bumper was MADE for the 87-91 Fords. It would look exactly the same on a Bronco as it did on the F150. If ya got some cash to burn, hide a 12,000lb. winch behind that bumper
. It'll be hard to tell what you have, and it'll pull you out of most anything.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I'll second the 12,000 recommendation!
I have a Warn XD9000i and it SUCKS for a Bronco! It's way too fast, and even though it meets the "1 1/2 x vehicle weight" recommendation, it just doesn't cut it!
Get the biggest winch you can afford, up to 12,000.

Now, if you're looking at Ramsey...

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
the warn bumper are notorious for bending if you hit them in th earea below you headlight, they push back pretty easy.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Nuthin' some 3/16" stock and a welder can't fix

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got a Warn 12,000 on my 88 Bronc. It's great to have, but it's damn heavy! It'll sag your your front end an inch and a half or so. I bought a Warn Black Classic Bumper. It works well and I haven't really tweaked it too bad. My only complaint is that it rusted pretty bad (but now it matches the rest of my truck). Warn also makes the Classic Bumper in chrome. It costs more, but its worth it (if you're into aesthetics). The WARN Enforcer Bumper looks great in the catalogs, but the damn thing is mostly PLASTIC! It's got a steel frame on it, but the Chrome Panels are plastic. It's more SHOW than GO (in my opinion). I also had a Warn M8000 installed on it for a while and it pulled my Bronc out of many Mudholes. Remember, with a snatch block, you can double your pull to 16,000. You can pick up a Warn M8000 for $595. It only has 80' of cable, but I think it's the best winch value out there (I put it on my Jeep). I really think the M12000 is a bit overkill for a Bronco (unless you're running 44's) but, hey, I've got one and it's nice to have! I used to be an engineer at AM General and I tested Warn winches there (to cable-breakage) for the Military. I've always been impressed with their product. The older-style winches uses 4 Ford Starter Soleniods for their control pack and a Bosch Motor. They're durable and easy to fix. Don't buy a MileMarker winch if you like driving through ponds or are in any kind of hurry (I tested those too).

·
Registered
469 Posts
dont forget to check ebay - warn's are common over there & you'll save a lil' even after shipping (usually) !!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
What is the problem with Milemarkers and ponds? I know they are slow, but their advertising says you can run one submersed. If you are going to advertise that, they had better be pretty darn water proof. I am considering options as well, and the milemarker 10500 is still tops on my list.

Also, since on the subject, if there may be a problem with their true abilities in the wet, why did the military or Army?? choose this product? Just looking for info. here. Always good to get the full view on such an expensive purchase.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The milemarker is hydralic, running off of your powersteering pump.if the pump dies so does your extraction. sure the warn will use up battery juice but you should run duals anyway. its kinda hard to keep the engine running when its in the water. just my 2cents

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
warns dont run under water either do they? seems like you're pretty SOL either way if you're in that deep unless you freespool the sucker and pull it with a hi-lift or two. that is why i'm mounting mine on top of the camper shell.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've had 3 Warn winches---8000 (on a Toyota and Chevy 4x4), a xd9000i (on a Bronco and 3 Z-71's), and currently own a hs9500i. I like the hs9500i much better than the rest b/c I have zero patience. As far as working underwater, I don't know on the truck winches. On my Honda 450s, I have a Warn a2000 and it has been used while totally submerged probably 10-15 times and it has never skipped a beat. It is a hell of a winch to go through the $hit I put my four-wheeler through.

Brian

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
birddog, if it floats, where's the challenge?

btw, the camper shell winch was a joke, though it wouldnt be too bad of an idea

anybody ever used one of those ~$500 m8000 winches or the ramsey equivalent? i think they are an older design but surely if i used a pulley it would be strong enough to pull a ~5000 lb bronco out of a hole? if i can figure out how to keep the water out of my hubs i'm going to start diving again and i'll need a winch soon thereafter

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
5,000LB? maybe, most likely more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MileMarker 10,500 2 Speed

I have the MileMarker 10,500 2 Speed winch and like it so far. I need to build a better bumper for it, but has done what I needed it to. The low gear is pretty slow, you'll be waiting a while for that, but makes it easier for control. The high gear works great for reeling the cable in and I found that it can pull most of the jobs in high gear, but is almost too fast. It uses thicker cable than most electrics, so the winch weighs as much as the electric ones. Shipping weight for my MileMarker was 101lbs.

The drawback for the engine not running means you are out a winch was one I had to think about. I came up with a solution and made a portable winch out of one of those ATV winches. Other guys have added electric pumps inline with the pressure line and can then make the winch run off a battery. Not as much power, but will get you out enough to get the engine running.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Re: MileMarker 10,500 2 Speed

About the MileMarker Winch: Indeed, it runs off of the Power Steering Pump: so it's useless if your motor's hydro-locked. That's when I want a winch the most and when I want it to be the fastest (so my dash don't get shorted-out) those Bronco Door Seals aren't too tight!
Second, the MileMarker has a very weak Drum (they need more mechanical advantage so that they can get a decent max pull rating). They get their 10,500 rating by making the Drum Diameter small (and, therefore, weak). In fact, it doesn't meet SAE (Society of Auto. Engineers) minimum requirements. There is a trade-off between Pull Capacity and Drum Strength, which MileMarker is liberal with.
Third, that shift lever is really cheesy. I'll bet those bend/break in the field.
Fourth, I can't believe how SLOOOOOOOOW that thing is. Again, when mud/water is seeping in through your door seals you're gonna be in agony waiting for the HourMarker to pull you out!
I left AM General before all decisions had been finalized and I don't know if MileMarkers are being put on HMMWVs. If they are, it's because the owner of the company has a buddy with the Military's Tank/Automotive Division.
As far as the M8000 Warn goes, I had one on my Bronco for a while and it pulled me out of each mess I got into. Electric winches will run under water. Warns have a vented motor which will allow water in, though. The vent is there to prevent pressure from building-up in the housing when it gets hot. I sealed the interface between the motor and it's mounting face with RTV. I drilled and tapped a pipe threaded vent plug in the motor housing and ran a vent line high under the hood to allow the motor to vent without letting water in. This is how Military Versions of the Warn Winch are made. HMMWVs are designed to operate in 60 inches of water with a Deep Water Fording Kit Installed. Therefore, the Winch must operate submerged in order to meet the Military Specifications.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Re: MileMarker 10,500 2 Speed

Broncoloco stated:
Second, the MileMarker has a very weak Drum (they need more mechanical advantage so that they can get a decent max pull rating).
They get their 10,500 rating by making the Drum Diameter small (and, therefore, weak). In fact, it doesn't meet SAE (Society of Auto.
Engineers) minimum requirements

The dia. stated on milemarkers site is 2.5" same as all Warns until you get to the 12k+. So, If you are comparing say the 10500 MM and any of the warn less than 12k winches, drum dia. are the same. The differences seem to be in 1) method of power 2) gearing (6:1 vs 156:1 or more!) and 3) cable size for the most part. Milemarker really grills warn on the use of 5/16" cable vs their 3/8". Mode of power, well, I can see advantages and disadvantages to both. If both are running, the MM states it will outpull the warn, especially on a long pull or repeated pulling. Interesting though, when you get to the last layers, the warn shows a max pull on the HS9500 of 6940lbs, while the 10500 MM shows 6400lbs. Hhhmmmmmmmmmmm

I suppose you could take off the 125' of 5/16" and replace with 3/8" that solves the cable. If you got the warn 12k you get the bigger cable and drum. No wonder I can't decide on a wench

1 - 20 of 29 Posts