Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a ramsey rep 8000 winch from rosser jeep but would like to know if anyone has had bad luck with this winch it will not be used for a lot of winching as i live in nothern nevada and i use this jeep for hunting and getting to back country lakes for fishing. thanks in advance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh no, let's not start another Warn/Ramsey/hydraulic debate. Anyway, with the state of current technology, they are all pretty darn good. I've had a Warn for 14 years, but I'm sure a Ramsey is just as dependable.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was recently on a trail ride in western mass where i witnessed 2 Ramseys fail within 30mins of each (cause unknown) and the trusty Warn8000 saved the day. I dont have a winch to have a REAL opinion. I am just relaying what i saw.

My .02

Kevin Speicher
New England 4x4 Club
http://146.189.121.83/
79 Jeep CJ-7

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I have a Ramsey REP 8000 on the front of my Scrambler, I bought it off my brother for $300 (with fairlead and plate) so he could buy his 8274. It's a good winch, he used it lots of times, even stalled it out once, had to hook another to him, bumper and radiator were plowing mud as the jeep kept going south. He just rebuilt it and I have no hesitation about using it anywhere. It's better if you use it doubled up, it's slower, but it won't heat up and will last a lot longer. BTW guys, I know of several Warn's that have quit due to hard abuse, even a M12,000, so it depends on the abuse and use. For 82CJ7, it should be fine. Another note, the faster winches, as my brother found, are a pain in the neck when needing a slow line speed, such as uprighting a vehicle, traversing a side slope, and winching a vehicle onto (or off) an obstacle.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
First off, I have seen just about EVERY kind of winch fail at some time, some place. I personally used my Ramsey REP 8000 to winch a Land Cruiser up Guardrail at Tellico because it's Warn XD9000 stalled out.
I have had my Ramsey for about 3 years, and it has never failed me. I have done side by side pulls with a Warn XD9000i, and I can tell you that mine way WAY slower. I would have to say that line speed is the only real downfall of the Ransey REP8000 - at least the old ones. I haven't checked, maybe the new REP series winches have a larger motor - I know the ProPlus does.
I recently got a Warn XD8000i from carparts.com and plan to mount it to the front of my Toy simply because of the increased line speed. The Ramsey will get moved to a custom mount in my new flatbed. I guess give me a little time & I can give first had experience of how both Warn & Ramsey winches work.

One more thing, ever check what they use on the back of rollbacks & wreckers? Ramsey anyone? To me, for repetative use like that, seems they use Ramsey's for a reason...

David
Davids 4x4 Page

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Did those winch fail because of winch or batterys. I fail a warn 6000 on a toyota years ago not because of winch but the salt air and the solinoid. Dealer say it was lack of used. I run a warn 8274 now because it came with the jeep.

My advice: Buy the biggest winch you can afford, brand name who cares, ANY winch is better than none. If the company been in business longer than ten years it a good winch.

beside these winches that fail consider what they might have been doing, vehicle size, vehicle care, operator error, trail diffucult etc.

brownbagg </font color=red>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would do some backround research on winches in general. Series wound v. permanent magnet motors, etc... I don't yet have a winch on the farmjeep, but when I do, I think it will be one of those Superwinch S9000...

Measure once, cut twice...or is that the other way around?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
If I had to buy a whinch with any amount of money I would not have bought the REP 8000, but for the limited money I had, it is great. A lot better than no winch, and I have plenty of jeeps to move it to when I upgrade. The M12,000 died internally, the connections were shot (flat spot in the motor?) and the winch would pull only occasionally. Being a worm gear, when it died, he was there, no way to back it off.
I think the original winch question dealt with the REP 8000 because it's the lobest priced new winch I have seen. If I had my choice I'd go with something different, but for now it'll do. Any winch that can get out out of a jam is a good one, just like a jeep. There are all sorts of discussions, LWB, SWB, to flex or not to flex. The answer to all questions is what works for you, that's what makes this board so interesting. Just my nickel's worth...

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speaking of series wound v. permanent magnet, the series wound is more durable. A permanent magnet motor's capacity is reduced
a little bit every time it is used, if it is overheated or stalled its capacity goes way down. Not an issue with a series wound motor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right. Most (if not all) of these new "high-speed" winches use permanent magnet motors. More speed, but more heat and less-durability. Every industrial electric winch I have found uses a series-wound motor. Slower, but heavier duty. That's why I am going with the S9000. Moreover, it is a 9000# winch, but the stall rating is at 11,900#'s. All with a roller fairlead for $650.(plus shipping, of course).

Measure once, cut twice...or is that the other way around?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
all of the warn winches i have seen with exception of the 3500 and smaller use series wound motors. myself, i do not like worm and wheel winches, the are not effecient, as well as being too big. i guess it boils down to how often are you going to use your winch, and the winching you are doing.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Years ago when I bought my Warn, the Ramseys were mostly permanent magnet, that's what helped me make up my mind. Not
sure about nowadays, haven't been in the market for a winch lately, my Warn is still pulling away. (And its only a 6000, but with the
snatch block you get 12,000, haven't needed more yet.) One disadvantage of TOO MUCH winch is damage to the vehicle, I have
seen the front of the frame of a CJ buckle with a 12,000 pounder pulling a truck out of mud (they were using a snatch block, 24,000
lbs. /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.