Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a good deal on a Warn 8000 lb. winch not sure which one but an older model. The guy wants $200 but I might be able to get it for less. I've seen it work twice but broke both times after pulling me out once. The last time it worked he had to hard wire the remote and he burned the post off of his battery. He said it had something to do with the solenoid pack. Anyway how much to rebuild it and make it as close to new as possible? He has a roller fairlead and about '75 feet of cable in decent shape.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif If the winch is mechanically sound....that is the motor, gearbox, and drum is OK, the solenoid pack is diddly. What we would have you do is abandon the solenoids in the winch, and get some regular heavy duty ones mounted unser the hood, and then a nice remote cord and pendant. If you get this winch for that little money, you just cannot lose. People just underestimate how much current that they have to serve to the winch, and it burns everything up. If you do this right, it will be a nice setup for you. Does he have a nice remote control pendant and all that?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has a nice remote but hard wired it. I guess its still salvagable. I'll talk to him today.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
If it is tall and ugly it is proberly a 8274. If it is, pay the guy $200 ask no questions and run with it. That same winch today is over $1200. I think it is one of the best built. Do not worry about the solinoids or remote. chicken feed. My 8274 is over 25 years old and still works.

brownbagg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
try to find the id tag on the gear case (this is very important on the planetary units as they all look alike). if the motor is above the drum and has three posts on the motor it is an 8274 (a single post motor is a belleview, a very good unit but hard to find parts for). if all you need is a control pack use warn part numbers 36941 and 34462. these are the industrial controls used on their series 9 and 12 winches. very robust, and worth the time to install.

dan
Good things come to those who do research!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know its not an 8274. I'd a swiped it already if it had been.
Thanks for the info

Can you fix it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.