Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i get the impression that the warn winch is a better winch than the ramsey, what makes it so much better? is it a better quality unit or is it just preference?

89 yj, under construction!
it's not what you buy, it's what you build!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
warn's are faster and seem to be more durable than the ramseys (this is info from many diff people and not just my opinion). i am in the process of swappinf my old re8000 with a warn m8274 right now. the re was good and strong but sssssllllllllooooooooowwwwwwwww!!!!!! do you get my point?

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
My warn is about 35 years old and i have no clue what was done to it before i got it. I have used the crap out of it since i got it. SO why change a good thing.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been involved with an event called the Team Trophy Challenge for the past 5 years. I run the winch task. The only winches that seem to hold up (other than pto winches) are the Warns. They all do ok but the 8274 seems to have the best line speed vs. durability aspect. I've personally owned Warns and Ramsey's and the only electric winch I will own now is a Warn (for a 4 wheel drive vehicle, Pierce's are great for wreckers or industrial). All my Jeeps run PTO winches in the front and My CJ-6 has a Warn M 8000 in the rear. Nickmil.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If you're dead set on a Warn, at least get a thimble for the hook connection (Warn doesn't supply one), and remember that if the cable snaps in the field, there's no way to secure it back onto the drum. Warn uses a lug on the end of the wire rope that is screwed to the drum flange. There's no way to resecure a snapped cable to the drum. Break out the duct tape. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

Good luck,
Pete

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeep_macgyver

1 - 6 of 6 Posts