Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does it matter if your winch has integrated solenoids as far as getting water, mud , etc.. in it or is it better to have remote solenoids and which is the better winch ramsey or warn i'm trying to decide on the m8000 x8000i and rep8000
any suggestions

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As far as the Ramsey winches go I like the RE models best. They are stronger and seem to last longer than the REP models that they have. I know they still make the RE-12,000 that is a awsome winch.

Peanut

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
12000 lbs on a jeep? dang.. i dont think you quite need that much... go with twice your vehicles weight.. i myself have a warn 8000i and love it. but i think between the ramsey and warn. just personal prefernce.. they are about the same.. both have pros and cons.. but i like warn their customer service has aloways been outstanding with me.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a warn 12000 on the front of my CJ. Your right, normally you wouldn't need it but I have winched out a few BIG trucks. So far, I have winched out a "dead" hummer, and a "FOUR WHEELER" cover truck. There is nothing better than winching out someone bigger and better than you. :)

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know...thats my honest answer. But, I can tell you what I've learned. I have had a REP8000 for a while. Have had it underwater. Its still kick'n chick'n...never let me down. Not bad for $400. The REP, from what I've since learned, is a permanent magnet design. Not thought of as being as tough and durable as worm gear (RE series), spur gear (Warn 8275), or planetary gear(most Warns and Ramsey Pros). The REs are lifelong type of winches b/c of the worm gear design, but they are slow, big and heavy. Don't know how they perform with prolonged water/mud exposure, but I'm guessing okay since their on the back of alot of wrecker trucks that aren't exactly garage kept. I now have a Warn HS9500i :)...but haven't had it underwater yet. Warn's planetary gear design, esp. with the new Bosch 4.6 hp motor, is smaller, lighter and faster. The solenoids are more protected from your basic rain, mud slinging events, but that doesn't cover the underwater situations. I know the housing is not waterproof and if a solenoid does go out I don't know how easy it will be to change. The M series have the least protection from the elements but are by the same token easiest to get to to change. I've repeatedly heard Warn's customer service is alot better than Ramsey's, but I don't have any experience with either one.
Probably not much help for you, but thought i'd a least give you a little more info.
Shain

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.