Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the winch bumper is built and has been on the Jeep, but I'm not going to be pulling anything until I
get it tied into the frame a little more. The stock bumper mount holes aren't going to hold it, one already
has the front cracked and pulled loose by the previous owner. I don't think he did it at the same time he
was using the Jeep to pull the plow on his brothers farm to check to see if the 4WD worked, but that's
another story.

This is and '80 CJ7. I was thinking about having some channels formed out of 3/16" plate to fit inside
the front of the frame back to the crossmember and welding it in along the top and bottom, no welds
across the frame. I plan to use 3/8" bolts through the original holes with the new channel to sandwich
the frame between it and the bumper. I also intend to add two holes in each side of the frame nearly
in line with the original mounting bolts. There is a hole in each side the frame about 3" back from the
front that will let me get a plug weld to the reinforcement channel and still have room for a 1/2" bolt
through the center. That will give me four 3/8" and one half inch bolt on each side, but they will all be in
the front four inches of the frame.

Is this enough to pull a Hummer out of the mud or at least stall my winch before the bumper pulls off
and become airborne? Other than the one bumper mount hole being pulled out, the front frame is in
very good condition with no rust. To bolt to anything back further, I would have to remove the steering
box and left front shackle mount and make big nut plates with tubes through the frame.

I CAN NOT weld the bumper to the frame. With the way the bumper is built and the supports for the
roller fairlead are planned, the bumper has to be removed to get the winch out. Remember that post
I made about protecting the winch from theft? Well, I can tell you that nobody is going to get this
puppy without a WHOLE lot of trouble.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Re: Winch bumper

Hey Ron,
Are you going to put a likeness of that famous WB character on the bumper?/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Maybe a front license plate, he's already on the hood, both sides, rear, horn button, dash knobs and
floor mats. I need to get him on the tire cover and I have a sound chip from the toy that I tore up to
make the horn button that says three Taz things that I want to hook to an amplifier and weatherproof
speaker for a horn.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts

Now.....if you could just get the CJ-7 to spin down the road like a tornado, a la the Taz!!!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Been there, done that. I was on I-70 in an ice storm when a big truck crowded me off to the left. Hit the
ice and did a turn and a half. My toughts were, "There goes the Jeep", but nobody hit it. Wasn't much
traffic that time of the morning. Still, it's not something I want to do on a regular basis.

G

·
Sounds to me like a pretty bulletproof setup you have in mind. The fact that you are using the side of the frame instead of the stop makes it so much stronger. I don't know if you have seen Warn's winch plates, but they just bolt on using those large holes in the side of the frame and I have yet to see any stress on mine which uses a Warn plate. Yours will be much stronger than what the Warn setup is.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Taz.....when you do that channel insert trick,/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif is there any way you can incorporate a WEB into the design? You know....something to keep both frame rails even and not make a "Z" out of the frame?/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif Make it so that no matter what, the winch bumper cannot bend at the channel attachments and pull on one frame rail only./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif I have done a LOT with heavy winches and trucks, and I can tell you that it isn't that hard to ZEE the frame,/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif either on the winch truck, OR on the truck you are winching. I got so's I would NEVER let the owner/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif hook up to his truck without my checking to see what it was he hooked my winch cable to./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif When I started gathering the cable with that Model M5 Braden, something HAD to move./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.