Off Roading Forums banner

Winch Anchor

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
As the jeep trailer is shaping up, I am starting to anticipate the next improvements. The winch is on the short list of things to do. But here's a question for you all...what do you use for a winch anchor when there isn't a good tree handy? I've seen those pull-pals, but don't really want to spend that kind of $$ (but if they really work, I may build one). In the quadratech catalog, they have a winch anchor that is nothing more than a piece of steel bolted to an upside down cultivator shovel. Does it really work??? Or what about carrying a sledge and a big piece of rebar with a good flat plate welded on the end to drive into the ground and hook to? What else is there? My thinking is that a winch anchor is probably pretty dependent upon the terrain it is used in. What would work in the hard frozen IL winter ground? Or in Colorado terrain? Or in mud? I searched the bbs and didn't find any similiar posts. Any ideas?

Trying to come up with a witty line to end all of my posts...

G
#2 ·
How about taking a nice long coil spring and giving it a point at one end. Weld on a cross bar type handle, and "cork screw" it into the ground. You could weld on a ring at the top to attach the winch cable to while you're at it.

I got this idea from the tie out for my dog. He can pull over 2000 pounds on a runner sled, and these types of things can hold him in one place.

G
#4 ·
He's an Alaskan Malamute. He's pretty much average sized (100 lbs) and loves to pull. Just for the record, the record for one Malamute is 3850 pounds (this was an 85 lb female) for 1 mile on a runner sleigh. So if you can't afford a winch, a couple of these could pull your Jeep for you. They just both wouldn't fit in the rear at the same time.

G
#5 ·
your rebar idea is a good one, I know a few people who used 3-4 peices of rebar pounded into the groung and linked together with 3' lengths of chain as winch anchors in the desert. The Pull-Pals really do work, there biggest advantage is they work well in most any terrain, and I dought the rebar would work well in mud.

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

#6 ·
What you speak of is called a 'Dead Man'.
We used old truck axles and drove them in the ground at an angle away from what ever you are trying to pull.
I've see entire houses and Mack trucks pulled around on a dead man.
Make sure your connection, cable, chain, strap or what ever is all the way down against the ground.
I use a VERY LARGE pry bar (called a tankers bar in the military). It's steel, it bends instead of breaks, but it's expensive.
I just used one with a block (pulley) to pull a 10 wheeled rock truck out, and the dead man never moved.

Old car or truck axles are cheap enough, and have a flat enough top they can probably be drove flat and left in the ground if they are too hard to get out.
(provided that it's not a farmers field, or something like that)

A dead man, block & tackle and windless is the way they did it before winches.

I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law...

#7 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif In the old days, all circuses and carnivals were staked down using early Ford axles. You could see those differential gears sticking up all over the place, and the tapered axle made a good point. Hey.....you could use Model 20 axles! Send me a couple of Superior one-piece axles and you can have our pointy Model 20 axles. Hmmm......???/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G
#8 ·
Speaking of Dead Men
My dead man of choice is the I-bar from the hi-lift jack. I think that it would probably work for just about anything. I know that it will work for a Jeep in sand, mud, liquid dirt and rock and slime and .........I couldn't tell you what all I've used it in. TeamRush is right - you can pull the world in half with a pair of dead men.
sln

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.