Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm looking to put a new drivetrain in my '63 CJ3B. I'm currently running
a Chevy 350 v8 with a saginaw 4 speed to a Dana 20 transfer case. This
gives me a crap crawl ratio. To fix this I picked up a wide ratio t-18 and a scout
Dana 300. I'm thinking that I might have to downsize to a v6 to make
it fit, but only if I have to. Has any one used this combination in
a flatfender before. I'd like to keep my v8. HELP!

Thanks!

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
[email][email protected][/email]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't mention what the wide ratio T-18 is from. I assume it is from an International truck or Jeep and it has
the Dana 20/Scout 300 adapter. If not, get one that has this. This combo should fit, you'll just need to get
the input bearing retainer turned down to GM size for the Buick bell housing. Any machine shop should be able
to do this for you. You'll also have to drill and tap the bell housing for the T-18.

If you have a IH truck or Jeep truck T-18, you'll need to swap in a different input shaft or get it cut and resplined.
I'd go with a core Ford T-18 input shaft.

You'll also need a special pilot bushing to work with what ever input shaft you have and the Buick engine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Terry L. Howe http://www.off-road.com/~txh3202

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Terry, Thanks for the reply!

The T-18 I have is a Jeep core (T-18A) with the stock Dana 20 adapter. As for the input shaft I swapped in a Ford input shaft (6 1/2") and bearing retainer. I was planning on using an Iron duke or Advanced Adapters bell housing.

I was unclear from your reply if I could get the set up to fit with a Chevy V8 motor.

Also I've switched my rear end to a centered diff from a '74 CJ5 (single piece Dana 44). The Dana 18 xfer case has a lower output (and of course offset) so you can use a shorter rear diveshaft. This is the case in a CJ 2A (Parts and Pieces). But for me with a IH Dana 300, I'm really worried about my driveshaft angle and length. So will it fit? I imagine that I'll at least have to use a CV style rear driveshaft.

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
[email][email protected][/email]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they make 3.15 gears for your dana20 from terra and 4.86 gears from obriens that would cure the crawl ratio problem in a huge hurry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have installed a 302 Ford, Ford T-18, and a Dana 300 in my CJ2. When all was said and done, the rear driveshaft would have been 9 inches long at an obscene angle. Tom Woods said he could make a CV shaft to work, but I made my Jeep longer instead.
Check out my Page for more info. Stretching the Jeep wasn't all that hard.
http://home.off-road.com/~cj2a
Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rich Imholt runs "Bad Bee". Canary yellow 3b with chev 350, T-19, 2 1/2 model 20. He had to run high pinion
rear end in his. Give him a call at R&P 4 WD Parts Inc. at 503-557-8911. They are a Tera dealer also. nickmil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds to me like you've picked up some great hardware. And, it should work great. You might want to pose this same question on the Parts Mike forum (partsmike.com). PM addresses this kind of stuff, all the time. My bet is... keep the V8, and I believe PM will tell you that the T-18-to-Scout-300 setup is one of the shortest, and it should work fine. I'm not sure what a V6 would buy you, unless you are thinking you could move the V6 'forward'.

bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.