Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep was running fine until about a month ago. It quit while driving down the road. After a few tries it fired up and I got it home now it only starts when it feels like it. (Wife says it’s turning into me)

1. I wasn’t getting any spark to the plugs – checked distributor cap, wires, and coil. I replaced the battery today and it fired up. Drove it around the neighborhood
2. Tried to start it 30 minutes later and the starter just clicked – checked wires and put jumper from battery + to ignition terminal on starter ---click ---Replaced starter and still get the CLICK 99% of the time????

I get 12.5 V at the battery with the key in start position. (New battery)
If I put the + lead to the Ignition terminal on the starter solenoid and the – terminal at the battery I get different readings. Sometimes it drops to about 11 VDC and sometimes it seems to dead short or jump crazy. Using digital meter so it hard to see exactly what the fluctuation actually is

It still tries to turn over on occasion but will not start. I’m assuming I’m still at the original no spark issue. I’m beginning to think I just got lucky today when it started. Just can’t tell until I get it to turn over. All connections are tight and clean. As of today most are new. I haven’t replaced the starter relay but it seems to be working properly with volt meter.

Any Ideas????????

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Battery cables.
Make sure your vehicle is out of gear...
Connect your jumper cables to the battery positive, and the other end of the cable to the starter cable side of the solenoid.
(you'll get sparks here, so clamp QUICKLY)
If the starter tries to turn over, It's the battery to solenoid cable that's shot.

If the starter doesn't try to turn over, hook from the positive side of the battery and to the positive terminal directly on the starter.
If it cranks then, the cable from the solenoid to the starter is shot.

If the starter still doesn't crank, hook the black side of your jumper cables to the negitive side of the battery, and the other end of the black side to a starter MOUNTING bolt (NOT an electrical connection on the starter)
Hook the red side of the jumper cables to the positive side of the batter, and the starter CABLE terminal.
If it cranks now, your ground isn't grounding. (Offen the case)

You can test the cables with a battery load tester, and it's a lot safer.

Don't rely on that dinky 'Ground' wire going to the alternator bracket or manifold bolt...
Run a 4 Gauge or larger cable from the battery to a mounting bolt for ground.
The starter will be the largest current draw, so it needs the largest ground.

Also run 10 Gauge wire to the back of the alternator and to the cylender head(s).
This will keep your charging system and ignition system working at peak effency.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Will NOT start ....sometimes!!!??? FIXED!!

Thanks for the help. My problem was a ground. My biggest problem was that I created more problems tracking it down. I took your advice and added the ground wires. While doing this I noticed the new battery terminals I installed were painted. ( I knew they were black & red it just didn't click in my head….....just clicked at my starter)The positive terminal was not painted in the wire slot but the Negative was. I brushed the paint off and now it starts every time. And my original no spark problem is also fixed because of the extra ground wires…..I assume.

Only bad thing is I paid for a new starter when I didn't have to.

Thanks again for the advice!!!!

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Re: Will NOT start ....sometimes!!!??? FIXED!!

Don't laugh, I just had to help the neighbor out...
He works as an ASE certified tech, just replaced the starter, cables, solenoid, and battery in his pickup, and couldn't get it to crank, so he finally asked me to have a quick look...

He forgot to take the plastic terminal protectors off the battery terminals befor he hooked up the cables!

I guess all of us can suffer from brain farts from time to time!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts