Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I install the hypershackles on my YJ (longer than what I have) will this mess up my driveline angles?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Depending on how much longer, you will affect not only the driveline angles but your caster on the front end which will cause your YJ to wander all over the road. Positive caster is necessary to keep the front tires' ability to return to center when turning and staying centered when driving in a straight line. Longer shackles reduce the amount of positive caster. If you are looking for a stronger shackle, stick with the stock length or no more than 1/2" in total lift. If you are looking for an inexpensive lift, do the 1" body lift route.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I bought my CJ7 with a 2" shackle lift. I don't know how the former owner drove that thing without killing someone.

A longer pitman arm, with a shackle lift, may help keep your steering geometry correct.

Chris

'85 CJ7/285

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Yup. Listen to the Snowy Tow guy. He's got it nailed. Not to devalue the other post, but a longer pitman arm won't help, it's the caster that's the problem./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.