Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hei helped so much , I just wonder if it is worth putting my $10 weber carb on also.It is hard to believe that the 258 could run much better.

G

·
85CJ7 - My son started off by putting headers on his system. It helped. He then switched to a Weber carb 32/36. It made a marked difference in idling and overall performance. From then on it was internal (hp cams, etc), significant 4.2 head work. Then we discovered that with the increased bore and head work, Weber Carbs would not do the trick. (This was based on discussion with Weber distributors on the West and East Coasts, and recommended by local mechanics). We then switched to a Holley 4bbl and offenhauser intake that was another marked improvement in performance. At that point, whether poorly adjusted carb, cams, etc. the idle was the pits and low end throttle response was poor. At that point, we went for the Jacobs Electronics system. That make another major difference. Unfortunately, the head crashed so, we'll now find out what happens with a significantly modified 4.0 head. Besides that, it doesn't take much to put the carb on and if it doesn't work for you - take it off. Mindbender.

Mindbender
CJ7 258

G

·
It all depends on what condition your engine is in and how well your existing carb is working for you. I can't help but wonder what Weber you got for $10. There are as many different varieties of Weber carbs as there as Holleys, so are you sure that it is the one intended for the 258? Without more info about what you have currently and any problems you may be having with your existing carb, there are just too many variables for anyone else to help you with this question. What one person has experienced with their Weber may not even apply to your situation. Tell us what you have trouble with now, what carb you have now, what condition your engine is in (how many miles), and what Weber you are planning to put on and you'll get better answers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 140k on my 258,headers,hei&the carter bbd. The weber is a 32/36 and I did pick it up for $10.It needs rebuild kit.I need the manifold adapter, I thinking about trying to rig a cable to it instead of buying the linkage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.