Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 tilt cj-7 column and I am looking to put it into a 1976 cj-5....will this fit...what kind of fabrication is needed if any..thanks

~~TIM~~

CJ-7 10"lift

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was at the junck yard today and saw a 1980 cj-7 with a tilt steering (it was trashed so I didn't buy it)but it would bolt right into a cj-5.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif78 CJ-5 all fiberglass, chev.383, TH350

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Careful with the length. I'm almost certain that my column came from a CJ-7, 80's model. Its WAY to long. Sits about 2 inches from my gut (keeps me from drinkig too much beer due to fear of not fitting into the seat). Makes it hard to get in and out of.. Just double check your length before you put it in there.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CJ7 and CJ5 are the same length from the front bumper to the dash. The differences are from the door opening back. They use the same column and it will bolt in with no fabrication necessary.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm.. that's interesting. I wonder where this column of mine came from.. maybe some other Jeep? Maybe a Chevy of some sort. The key ingredient to my search for a column is correct length and GM style wiring harness..

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You've got to remember Carl that the steering column and mounting in the '75 and older is different than the '76 and up. That would probably explain why the CJ7 column sticks out so much in your CJ5. I know that yours was already converted when you bought it but the stock column was only about 1.5 inches in diameter, had a huge steering wheel on it (which also interferes with the average beer gut), and the turn signals were a big old box that mounted on the outside of the column. It sticks out pretty far too. That's why I used the Monza column in my '75. It's shorter than the newer CJ columns and makes it much easier to get in and out, especially with the tilt. What I should have said is CJ5 and CJ7 columns from '76 to '86 are interchangable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.