Off Roading Forums banner

Will a 258 bolt to my T-90?

411 views 1 reply 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Will a 258 from a newer CJ-5 bolt to the T-90 transmission in my 1960 CJ-5? Also will this require new motor mounts?

G
#2 ·
Anything is possible, and I'm sure this could be done. But, why??? Just for 'starters', if you still have the F-134 engine, and you are thinking about replacing it with the 258, and if you have a stock 60 body, then the engine bay is not really suitable. I'm not saying you can't do it, because people have figured ways to get a six in there. But, why?
You would need to change-out the short, 4-cyl input shaft in your T-90, for the longer 6-cyl shaft found in Willys pickups and wagons. Then, you would have to either make or buy an adapter to mate the T-90 trans to the 258 bellhousing. And, deal with the pilot bushing, clutch, T/O brg, etc. Then, you would have to deal with that short 60 body. It would need to be made longer, like the 72-up CJ-5's. And you would likely have to make some motor mounts, as I am reasonably sure they are not available from places like Advance Adapters. Not worth the work, in my opinion.
In my opinion, the Buick V-6 rear-wheel-drive engine is much more suitable. Why? For one reason, Jeep factory-installed them, from 66-71. If you choose a 225 (from a Jeep or a Buick), or a 231 (later Buick), or maybe even a later 3.8 Buick, life will be much easier. You still need the long shaft for your T-90. And you need the factory cast-iron adapter from 66-71, and the clutch, flywheel, T/O bearing, etc. You will still have to make motor mounts, unless you want to try and find the 66-71 factory mounts. I would recommend using some non-66-71 Jeep mount, because the 66-71 mounts were hard to locate, last time I looked. If you get 66-71 exhaust manifolds, they will clear the stock steering, although, one of these conversions usually includes a Saginaw steering conversion, too. And, if the oil filter seems to interfere with the front differential, you might want to use the 66-71 oil-filter-to-motor adapter. And, you will need to deal with a radiator. As a minimum, you will need to get the bottom radiator outlet moved or plumbed to the passenger-side.
No easy answer. One thing usually leads to another. And, that's why Jeeps are 'built'. I've only tried to offer a 'minimum' conversion idea. Most folks would suggest the Saginaw (usually power-) steering, upgraded brakes, a 'better' trans, and finally, maybe upgraded axles. If you have 5.38's, or some other low axle ratio that was common in 1960, you might want an overdrive, or axle-ratio change.
Best wishes.

bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.