Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will 72-75 cj-5 Windshield, Top & Doors fit a 68 (pre72 or early CJ-5)? Are the bodies the same.

I have a '68 CJ-5 missing the windshield, top and doors. I am considering putting a newer '72-'75 Windshield top and doors on it but I don't know if it will work and if so, what all is involved. Also what are the pros and cons of the two systems.

from what I understand the pre '72 windshields are different from the '72-'75 in that the older ones are taller by about 2". But I wonder if the bodies are the same? I read one post where someone tried to switch out the top without switching the window and he said the doors were at a different angle so they would not fit... I wonder if that is because the windshield is taller and set at a different angel or if the body tub is actually different- i.e. angled so doors would not fit?

Are the bodies the same?

Are the hinges the same?

Will the '72-'75 windshield hinges and soft top snaps line up on the pre '72 body?
The pre '72 windshield hinge is a 2 piece hinge and it comes apart. It Is held in the upright position with 2 hasps from top of dash to windshield frame. Does the 72-75 windshield come off without taking the hinges off the body tub or the windshield? Is the '72-'75 windshield held in the upright position with the hasps like pre '72 or does it have the brackets and hand bolt on the inside of the hinge like the CJ-7's do?

Are their other modifications that have to be made?

Is there any advantage to the older soft top system? It seems to me that the pre '71 soft top may be attached to the windshield better for a quicker & easier top removal and it seems that the pre '72 may be a more solid soft top system?

It seems to me that the reason for shortening the windshield would be for better aerodynamics and ride? Is the 72-75 a better system?

Thanks for your input!!!!

Paul
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Will 72-75 cj-5 Windshield, Top & Doors fit a 68 (pre72 or early CJ-5)? Are the bodies the same.

Don't know about the height issue, but the 72-75 windshield will fit your pre-71 CJ. The hinges are the same as well as the hasps which lock it down. The angles are also the same. The change was made in 76. You're on your own when it comes to the snaps. Every brand of top has different snap locations, so it's a crapshoot whether the snaps will work or not. My 75 had about three different sets of snap locations before I welded the holes shut and installed a Supertop with the rail type attachment system. The 72-75 windshield frame (stock) also uses a channel on the top of the windshield instead of snaps for attachment of the top. A '76-up windshield frame will also fit the tub if you change the hinges out to the newer style (a bolt-in project).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Will 72-75 cj-5 Windshield, Top & Doors fit a 68 (pre72 or early CJ-5)? Are the bodies the same.

I used a '75 frame on my '61 CJ-5, it fit perfectly. The main difference was in the wiper location; the early vacuum type are at the top of the windshield, the later ones are electric and mounted low on the frame. The newer frame gives much better visability if you are tall. Postal jeeps have the same wiper linkage as the '75s and are easy to find in wrecking yards.
If you do switch to the '76 or newer frame, you will gain even more visability and the tops for the later style seal better than the early type. Even a YJ type will fit but it won't have holes for the defroster.
Hope this helps, good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts