Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was going to be a nice day today and my wife TOLD me that she was taking the CJ and for me to take the new GC. OK, cool, no prob, the A/C, leather seats, and CD player would be nice. She has driven it before, but I still had to give my mini training course about the starter kill, seat adjustments, pumping the brakes, locking the steering wheel, putting on the emergency brake, letting it warm up, etc. She finally said fine, you take it! Ah c'mon hun, I just want to make sure you know everything, I want you to be safe. Anyway, I went off to work in the Jeep Cadarack and enjoyed the soft ride to work. She calls about 20 minutes later a bit pi**ed off. The seat won't move, I can't reach the pedals, my heels slip off the clutch, I tore my hose...damnit! She is no stranger to jeeps but for whatever reason, it was not her day. I met her about half way and we switched. I was laughing, she was ticked that she couldn't take it today. I guess hiking boots and heels do make a difference. You can't blame her for trying; or maybe the Jeep only likes the way I press the clucth...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Roy,
Count yourself lucky. There are a lot of guys out there whose wife's want nothing to do with the jeep. Give your wife a big kiss and tell her she is a great gal for trying.....and then plan an afternoon and give her a little more training. According to my fiancee, it is possible to drive a jeep with high heels.....I always make sure I'm standing back and watching as she gets in and out...oh, what a wonderful sight....so much leg....so little time

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
A JeepChick for a wife? Wow... How would it be? You are a Blessed man! I hope you have lots and lots of JeepKiddlets and JeepGrandKiddlets!. Lucky is the man who's 4WDrive Harware account is never maxed out because the wife knows the priorities!

Good Jeepin'

Larry

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
my wife is not a jeep chick, but when we met 10 years ago i had a jeep.... she knows it is who i am...but last year i took her car on a trip for work... i was gone for 5 weeks...all she had was my jeep to fetch groceries with and cart our daughter around.. my jeep had 35's on it then...i was proud that it was mechanically sound enough for me to do that(it is an 84)....she seems to like her car better, but she also lets me spend as much as i want on the jeep too....

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifRoy, Roy, Roy.....you are indeed blessed. Jeepchicks are not everywhere, and those we know about we take REAL GOOD CARE of. Our CJ was bought SPECIFICALLY for the personal use of my sweetie, and all through the rebuild I have kept that FIRMLY in mind. No complex systems of gears and levers...QUADRA-TRAC with AUTOMATIC; no complicated ignition kill, just a pleasant chime when the left door is opened to gently remind her to arm the secret theft prevention system, which she can oh, so easily and simply. A nice big center mirror for her use, she is not conmfortable with the side mirrors only. Seats positioned perfectly in mid range to fit HER, not me. A nice floor-mounted B&M shifter to duplicate the arrangement in her other ride. No extra gauges to confuse, just a nice big "Check engine" light connected to the oil and water, a buzzer that goes away on startup when oil pressure rises, and a the Quadra-Trac selector switch moved to a convenient spot and equipped with red, yellow and green lights to indicate mode-changing-mode. The exclusive Quadra-Sno modifacation to the QT to make it totally open center and easier to drive and shift between modes. And finally, a "got jesus" spare tire cover to display her intense faith. Very few gals like "changes" from one ride to the other. Most want a signicant degree of similarity, and a minimum of complicated mechanisms. That will keep your Jeepchick smiling/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifand those great high heels in your Jeep./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Boy! Elusive....you need to receive a HUGE round of applause for having a Jeep so dependable that wifey can drive it alone for five weeks! That is exactly what I am aiming for with the SNOJEEP./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
er....well...the rear main was leaking when i got home....and don't get too excited.. it took me ten years to build that jeep...a year before that she would'nt even RIDE in it....now (a year later)that same jeep is getting the tj frame..... sure wish i could go more than a year with out a complete rebuild...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There has always been at least one jeep in our garage, either hers or mine. I go through vehicles like shoes. Her first jeep was a 91 Wrangler (bought new) she drove it for about 4 or five years then all the out of warranty stuff started happening to it. She was in F&I in a car dealership and ended up trading her Jeep for a 94 (new body style) convertible mustang. It was nice for a while, the only thing she liked was the open top, other than that it didn't last too long; too low to the ground. After that, she has been driving jeeps. So, for her it's been a 91 Wrangler, 95 Cherokee, 98 Cherokee, 98 Grand Cherokee and now the 2000 Grand Cherokee. Let's see if I can remember all the Jeeps I have had...CJ-5, Commando, Scrambler, 2 CJ-7's, not to mention the Land Cruiser, 4Runner, Bronco's, Blazers, Scouts, and misc. trucks. She does not know why anyone would buy a car for transportation, unless it's a classic or muscle car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It really is amazing how much influence the fairer sex can have over what are supposed to be "our" playtoys. My CJ5 bit the dust when I met the future Mrs. TEX & found out she wouldn't race w/o a top (on the vehicle - she's topless all the time /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif). Now, she wants to pick out my next tow vehicle. Now, y'all need to understand that my tow vehicle is a 3rd car for us. She won't drive a truck every day to work & I can't, given the # of miles I'd put on one. Plus, economically, it's actually cheaper for us to maintain & insure 2 cars & a truck than 1 car & a truck (done the math - the cars are so much cheaper to buy, fill with gas, & maintain that it really works out better, since the replacement cycle of my trucks has been stretched 3-fold). So, the only time she'd ever be behind the wheel of this vehicle would be if it snowed & I didn't drive it - It's only snowed once this winter where I am. Yet, she not only has dictated that it be an x-cab shortbed, but now she wants to pick out the color & the rims! I told her I'm not sure she's going along when I order it /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Get this.....my Jeepchick's TOY car; that she drives when the mood strikes her; is a '66 Custom Karmann Ghia sedan! Nice little car. She has a ton of dough in it. It is totally mechanically rebuilt and has an upgraded engine and brakes and electrics and so forth. She has talked about selling it because she can't drive it enough up here. Sand on the road...it stays home; three-day weekend(too much traffic)....it stays home; too rainy...it stays home; too hot...it stays home; well, you get the idea. It would go from here to New York no problem. It's a kick to drive. Pre-war auto technology. Like some Jeeps, it has a definite "Mechanical Presence" which is a nice way of saying that the engine lets you know it's back there./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif When we tire of our everyday 1996 and later high tech rides, we go somewhere in the Ghia./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would just like to say that I am a Jeep wife & my husband thought it was cool until he left me alone with it last spring & my friends convinced me to take it off-roading accross a creek, where I promptly got it stuck & got water in the gas (thank god for hoopie teenagers who were crossing the creek to go drink beer in a field in a bid dodge truck who pulled me out to the side of the creek). He was mad, but took that opportunity to replace many parts and add parts (like air lockers & full-float rear axle) knowing that I was forced to be more understanding. Since then though, he got his 78 CJ7 fixed back up (until he ripped the spring shackle off the frame), and this fall we got an '85 CJ7 with the 258 & Auto tranny for me to drive all I want. It is much easier (& quieter) to drive than his 4 speed with a 304 & headers & glasspacks. But now it's an argument as to who gets the next jeep accessory. Happy Jeepin! --Rick's Wife---

'78 CJ7 304, rust, inspected!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Ricky, Ricky.....has NO IDEA how lucky he is. If your sweetie dunks the Jeep, rejoice that she is IN it and four-wheelin'!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife loves her 94 Cherokee Sport and she loves to go wheelin' in our CJ. The only Jeep related disagreement we have is that she won't let me lift her Jeep. She's 5' 6" on her tippy toes and doesn't want to have trouble getting in/out in office clothes. Hmmm, if I lifted it about 1/2" every oil change maybe I could get it 2-3" higher before she noticed. I wouldn't mind so much, but it is our primary vehicle for weekend errands and I hate having to drive a stock Jeep. There is just something inherently wrong with driving anything that is showroom stock, especially a 6 year old Jeep product.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I bought my first Jeep in 1995, a Wrangler. After I met and then later married the Mrs I convinced her to trade her Geo in on a 96' Cherokee Sport 4X. Well I fell in love with the Cherokee and traded in my 95 for one (the 95 had a 4 cyl). Both vehicles matched exactly, it was a pretty neat sight. I ended up lifting my Cherokee 3" and put 31's on it. Well as time went by, I got relocated to Camp LeJeune NC. I was headed out on a deployment, so to save money, my wife decided to sell her Cherokee. For the entire six months that I was gone that was her vehicle. When I returned I bought a little Honda beater just until we had a little more money so I could get me another Wrangler. Well I bought me another Wrangler a few months ago and now the Wife has her own lifted Cherokee. When I am around the Battalion area and start talking Jeeps with the guys they always seem to mention that lifted red Cherokee with the chick that drives it. You should see their faces when I let them know that they both belong to me. There's just something about a woman driving a Jeep.

So many trails, so little time.
Semper Jeep
Formerly 96XJ95YJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to lift my 85 CJ7 (it is stock, only 35,000 miles when we got it), I saw a 3" lift from Warn, Black Diamond it seemed nice, high enough to comfortaby put 32" tires under it. My husband says that he heard that Warn was getting out the suspension lift business, Anyone heard this too? Any other suggestions for the lift? I am 5'7" and I think that my jeep is for climbing up into, if I want cushyness, Ill get in my car. (my first car was a ford ranger 4x4, I like sitting high)

'78 CJ7 304, rust, inspected!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Uahjeepr,
I would get 3" lift then deflate tires, maybe she won't noticed the change.
Or, get her a side nerf bars and put steps on them. hahaha. lol.

Nycjeep :)

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Dave , Please tell me the Ghia's a "vert".
I also have a german air cooled fetish./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif
Tell her to keep it (!) even if it is'nt.
I'll leave you (her)my # incase things don't work out./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Jeeps and aircooled Vdubs.....nowonder U DA MAN Dave!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Nope, this little Ghia is a sedan! It was....get this...a LOW RIDER GHIA! Yep, a Mexican kid had it, and they lowered it and took off All the chrome to have the "Cal Bug" look. They had done a lot of body work already and the 1600 engine was real beefy. We raised it back up and perfected the mechanicals. We STILL haven't finished off the interior./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif I'll tell ya, DD....The kids went torough a Bug phase around here, and although they run cheap and repair chaep, you're NEVER FINISHED WORKING ON THEM!!!!!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif We had a 70 regular, a '73 Super, and a '74 Super. Two of them went to the Valhalla of Bugdom as a result of wrecks./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It must be a jeep thing. I too have a air cooled VW fetish. I have since I was 16. I had a 62 bug located to buy, went to talk to the guy about it and it was in pieces. Literally. They cut the body up into pieces no bigger than the doors. I was upset about that. Guess I will have to find another one. Oh yeah, the guy that cut up the bug drives a jeep too.

Cut to shape, hammer to fit, paint to match /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
Project '51 willy's total rebuild /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My wife wasn't crazy about Jeeping. She said it bounced too muck and was uncomfortable. I let her drive one trail and the smile on her face was huge. She wants to drive it every time we go. We agreed that after I finish fixing up mine that we will by her one. I want her to get a Willy, but I think she wants a CJ-7. I was glad to see her like it.

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift? /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.