Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 Pathfinder XE w/ a 3" body lift + Rancho Air adjustable shocks. I have been hearing this wierd thud/knock noise coming from under (it seems) the truck every time i accelerate hard, or go around a left turn. It happens constantly when the car is wet, and sometimes when the car is dry. I am completely baffled. If I shake the car alot, I dont hear it! But, if I get into the car, you can usually hear it.. Any ideas? Thanks

--Matt

--Matt Wise
[email protected] Server Administrator
--88 Pathfinder XE w/ 3" Lift and 31's
--89 RX-7 Convertible with 17's
--www.wiredgeek.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It might be the rear sway bar(anti-sway bar). I had the same problem with my 92 and I took the bar off and no more sound. But I had to put it back on cause of the crazy handeling. So the sound came back. I think I just need to tighten it more.

Try this, get under the truck and then do a pul up on some part of the underside, like the bumper. Just try and listen for where the sound is coming from. You've probably already tried this but anyways...

------------
92 Path SE-V6 4x4
31x10.50's
K&N Filter
Hella 530's
http://members.aol.com/Comet10267/pathmud.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i havnt tried that yet. I'll go out there in a bit and try it! I hope thats the problem!
Oh! One thing i noticed was that it looks like my exhaust (which was replaced at some point by some POS one from a muffler shop) has been scraping on my rear shock. Im wondering if that could be part of it too.

--Matt Wise
--www.wiredgeek.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That doesnt seem to have been the problem. One of the things i did notice, however, is that where the springs are mounted, the mounts are WAY worn out. I wonder how much that costs to get replaced?

--Matt Wise
--www.wiredgeek.net

· Registered
495 Posts
sounds to me like the "poping noise " tyour hearing is the springs "poping" in and out of the spring cup
Possible reasons?
when you did the spring lift the spring angle changed cause the trailing arms stayed the same therefor as the axel moves up and down Via turning and just hitting bumps or whatever the coil of the springs closest to the spring cup is hitting the side of the spring cup as it compresses and releases
If the spring cup is removeable or you are able to cut it off try relocating the cup forward a bit so the spring sits straight up and down at normal ride hieght
Just one theroery
I had a similar prob with a chevette when I put Cut down spring off an 83 thunderbird on it when the stock springs gave up on life
hope this helps

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4
http://www.geocities.com/nowheres

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To me thats what it sounds like it is.. but I have no idea how to fix it :) I might just bring it to a shop and have them deal with it :) Ugh! oh well, as long as its not dangerous and/or bad for the car..

--Matt Wise
--www.wiredgeek.net

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.