Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking of swapping out my tires and have two options that i like one is get a set of bfg mt 35 or i could get two like new super swampers and two worn out, off one of my friends (he will trade me my half worn 40s and 200 dollars, i could use the money on my new yj tub in run my 33 :( ) he got two half worned 36 swampers and bought the two (for 200 bucks a piece mounted and balanced)
are the swampers that much better off road than the bfj mt i go through alot of mud, if they are that close i might lean towards the bfj because they can be driven on the street and not wear so quick, one of my friends said he had both of them and said that the bfjs he had better luck with in the mud but he also attacked the same mudhole at diffrent times of the year? any suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The only reason BFG's would be better than TSL's in mud is if you have an anemic motor (like a 4-cylinder) & can't spin the TSL's at all. In mud, there's absolutely no comparison. By the same respect, there's no comparison on pavement, either. The radials will be way better.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW, if you go for the TSL's, set your spare money aside to replace the bald ones. $ per $, there's no mod you can make that'll have more of an impact than a quality set of tires.

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Amen brother TEX - speak the truth!!!

Seriously, you could not pay me to run BFG's on the trail - they have the weakest sidewalls you can imagine.

I say go for the swampers - you won't de disappointed with their mud performance/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

And TEX... anemic 4 cylinder? That hurts!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

<a href="http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota">

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, at least yours is injected! Seriously, I have a buddy (actually, my Toy mechanic) with a carbed 22R that got rid of his Swampers 'cause he couldn't make 'em work in the deep stuff. Said it sucked his motor down too bad. Too much traction - sort of gave him the same effect as too tall a tire.

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Yeah, I can see that... but add a Marlin and I can pick'N'choose where I want mu RPM's to be - I promise I can turn those boggers/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

As to traction, last night a club member was trying to talk me into cuttting my boggers like he did to his 39.5x18's - I said "no thanks" until I have a front axle that can take that kind of traction!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guy I was talking about has a single 2.28 T-case, 4.88's, & 33's. Come to think of it, I think the Swampers were on a different truck he had that probably had just 4.10's - but definitely just a single 2.28 & a carbed 22R.

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just a few comments
the bfj has a poor side wall if u say so (thats not a problem) kinda, if you buy the tires brand new u can get a roadide warrenty for short money, i undertand a tear in the side wall on the trail is not nice when u have to change it? hopfully when that happens u have the same size tire and u dont blow out another one that day!
hey Tex I know that the swampers are $$ that is being taking into consideration considering that the bfjs all four 35s brand new are only about 2 hundred dollars more than just 2 super swampers, but the two that i can get have 85 of the tread only about 700 road miles on them.
thanks for all the help!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing to remember is that 36" swampers are actually 36" tall where 35" BFG's are actually only about 33.5" tall.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
What prices are you being quoted on the BFG's and Swampers?

I just checked, and Essentially Off Road sells the 36x12.5 TSL's for $141 each (plus shipping of course) - and I am pretty sure 35" BFG's are not cheaper than that...check for yourself http://www.essentiallyoffroad.com

And as someone else correctly said - 35" BFG's are more like 33's...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had BFG's and superswamper radial TSL's. The TSL's are the way to go. They are excellent in the mud, the radial TSL's wont wear that quick on a jeep.
The sidewalls are tough. They look awesome but they are pretty close to actual size. The radial TSL's only come in 36" not 35. I've seen the 36" tires and they do look very tall. The BFG 35" tire doesn't look near as tall as a 36" SWAMPER.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here is my .02 worth.. go with the tsl radials.. if you got the balls to spin them.. if not.. stay with the bfg. the radial tsl will not wear too fast on a jeep.. probably alittle faster than bfg's. and also think of.. those tsl's will catch.. and you better have some good ole fashion axles.. or you might be breaking things.. just my thoughts..

yep.. its the jeepgod..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.