Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why won\'t this thing start?

I just swapped in a '79 304 in my '81 CJ. Everything was hooked up and it came time to start it. The starter rotates but the engine never turns over. I know it's getting gas. There is spark at the cap (I know cause it goosed me!). I got new wires and plugs. What am I doing wrong? What can I check? Is there something on the carb that needs checking? Help!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Why won\'t this thing start?

Ok- it's getting gas? and spark? Are you positive?
Does it even try to fire? Or it just turns over? I had the same problem with my 304. The timing was off and it was firing in a different cyclinder but would never start. Check all the ignition wires and such.. then check your timing.

Muddynut
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif 78 CJ7 "Issues" /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
168 Posts

If you fill out your profile more completely or give some specifics in your post, ie. carb type, ignition type , timing set, mods. etc..., you will get better answers to your question. For your problem, double check for spark with a timing light, make sure your engine is properly grounded, and your coil connections are correct. If you are getting spark to the plug, check your timing and try using some starting fluid in the carb to see if it will turn over. If it still doesn't turn over it's time for some more posts.

Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hey ya'll,
Thanks for the posts. I will try those suggestions tonight. As for the motor, it is a stock '79 304 w/ the MC 2100/2150 (?) carb. I swapped it in for the stock 258 I-6. I have not yet checked the timing. I will let you know later how it goes. Thanks!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts