Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ahev a 79 cj5 and it does not have a tail gate that opens. The repair manual says it should, I am wondering what the deal is, their is no anything that seems to do with an opening tailgate, no hinges, chains, latches or anything.
does this mean someone in the past put an after market tub on the jeep?
thanks
tony

79 CJ 5, 258, dana 30, model 20, T18, dana 20, 2.5" rancho lift, 1" shackles

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Is it a metal tub, or 'glass? Somebody that owned it previously could have welded up the tailgate, and if they did a good job, you might not be able to tell. Many 'glass tubs don't have a tailgate. If you decide you want one, it wouldn't be too hard to fabricate on a metal tub, and not much harder on a 'glass tub.

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!

·
Registered
539 Posts
some 70's CJ5's did not have tailgates. It was an option at that time. I have a '76 with a stock tub (stock rust, too) and no tailgate.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you

·
Registered
292 Posts
My 77's original tub didn't have a tailgate, and the 81' I replaced it with didn't either. Kinda wish it did though/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

Lugnut 77 cj5

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
In '78 the standard spare tire mount was bolted to the right side of the body, just behind the rear wheel arch. If you ordered a Jeep with the optional wider wheel and tire package, the spare stuck out too far so it went in back. You then had your choice then between the optional (at extra cost, of course) swing-out spare carrier, or giving up the tailgate.

After they learned that some people would cheap out and give up the tailgate, I think they made it an extra-cost option for a while.

G

·
I also have a '79 CJ-5 and mine never had a tailgate. I don't think any CJ-5 had them because there is no room behind the back seat to put anything. Tailgates started with the CJ-7's.

'79 CJ-5

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Up here in the Great White North I have never seen a tailgated CJ5 unless it was pre-76 . Now on the net I`ve seen a couple post 76 CJ5`s with gates but not many .

Jeff /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Hmmm.....my '74 CJ5 (I'm the 3rd owner) has a tailgate, and the spare tire carrier was located on the right side above and behind the rear wheel. I say was, because I'm currently fabbing up a new rear bumper with swing out tire carrier. My dad's '60 CJ5 and my uncles CJ5 (not sure what year) had tailgates too. I've never seen a factory CJ without a tailgate. Interesting to find out it was an option some years! You find out the darndest things on this board!

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
My first '78 CJ5 didn't have a tailgate. And it was rusty enough to tell if it had been patched or not. NO WAY there was a tailgate on that one. My current '78 CJ5 had a tailgate (up 'til the fiberglass body). But I don't have a clue why one had it, and one didn't.

Oh.. and I prefer it NOT having one. For such a little tailgate, it sure made a LOT of noise. Every now and then I'd like to have it, just for access but for the most part, to much trouble.

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
As far as noise goes with a tailgate, I cured that on my jeep with some weatherstripping for the most part. I plan on getting a set of tailgate latches off a mid-'80s ford stepside to put on next (they tighten when you close them, instead of just sorta hanging there!). Nowdays, my metal doors make way more noise than the tailgate!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I had a tailgate on my former 76 CJ5

Anyone know what latches the gate on a cj7?
I had to take my hardtop off,and that was the only thing holding it.

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't know about them going the way of the dodo in '76, my '78 CJ-5 has one that is factory. It is now bolted shut, but it is from the factory.

·
Registered
609 Posts
hi my name is tim and i own a 78 CJ5 w/ a 76 tub. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

the orginal 78 had a gate, but it rusted off. The new used 76 tub does not have a gate...

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
i have a 1978 cj-5.it originally had a tailgate but i did not need it so i cut it out and replaced rear panel with 16 gauge steel.a friend of mine has a 1978 cj-5 and his never had a gate.go figure.......

"have a nice day"
"if you can't fix it....duct it"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.