Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i wanted to know what gears i had in my cj the first thing that threw me off was that the amc axle code didn't match what off-road.coms tech section says. i know i'm looking in the right place cause i have checked other jeeps and found a code that matches what is on this page.

so i take the front diff cover off cause its easer then those damn torx bolts in the back. the ring gear is marked 43 and i counted 43 teeth on it. i counted the pinion gear 3 differnt times and come up with 14 teeth. divide 43 by 14 and you get 3.07... cjs wernt supose to come with 3.07s

and i doing something wrong? its a dana 30 cause the ring gear has that maked on it too. any help would be great.

80 cj7 304, WC t-5

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mike you aren't doing any thing wrong.The axles I pulled out of my 80 CJ5 are 3.07.I pulled the id tag off and thats what it read.If your tags are rusty,scrape the rust off and use some rubbing compound on them.You should be able to read them.

F.T.D
77 CJ7,79 CJ5 Plow Jeep.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yep 307's were the gears of choice from the manufacturer on some models to keep the total gas milage down on the production runs. The EPA wanted a number to be met (for total vehicle production run) and to do that some of the Jeeps were stuck with 307's By 87 when Chrysler took over that was the normal gearing on most YJ's.
GP'n

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh wow thanks alot. all the stuff i had been lucking up says that they were either 2.73 or 3.31 or 3.54.

80 cj7 304, WC t-5

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
My 80 with a 304 and factory auto came thourgh with 3:07 gears also. It drove me nuts also but when you read the tag then count the teeth you just say thats why i dont crawl for sh!t.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
The FSM says 3.07 stock, 3.54 optional in 1980, no other ratios offered.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They put real gears in from the factory in mine. 5.38's baby!
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.