Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at my S10 Blazer today and the back wheels/tires look pretty bad. They are too far into the wheel well for my taste and just don't look right. I have heard that they are off-set so that the rear tires do not fall into the ruts the front tires make, but are there any other reasons for this? And yes, I know it can be corrected with wheel spacers or different wheels but I cannot afford that right now and I was just wondering why they made the back tires sit so far into the wheel well.
Thanks

"*******" on the Internet
1989 S10 Blazer 4x4, 4.3, K&N, Flowmaster, 235/75/15 BFG AT

G

·
The wheels are that way because they are designed for that truck, without a lift you need to keep the stock offset if you want to run tires any bigger then a 235/75R-15 otherwise you'll have rubbing issues and you might even rub with that tire depending on the offset you run. The offset has nothing to do with keeping the rear wheels out of the front wheels ruts thats from different front and rear track widths.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooppps. Yes, I did/do mean the front and rear track width.
Sorry for any confusion.

"*******" on the Internet
1989 S10 Blazer 4x4, 4.3, K&N, Flowmaster, 235/75/15 BFG AT

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
A combination of keeping a smaller turning radius and (theoretical) better fuel milage... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

·
Registered
225 Posts
Seems odd that there isn't a reasonable explanation for this. I mean the blazers are tippy enough, wouldn't they want to make it wider in the first place? Weird crap. Do you think that adding 1 inch wheel spacer to the rear tires to correct this will counteract tippage? Isn't most of the weight in front anyway?

If it has wheels or a skirt,
You can't afford it!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Let me make a stab at this...but let's not think of the truck in question for a sec let's see if I can Explain this by going more to extreems
Have you ever watched tractor pulls? namely the 4x4 class??
if so have you ever noticed that the Rear wheels are tucked into the fenders where the frount tires are sticking way out?
The reason is while they are pulling the fount tires throw alot of dirt to the rear of the vehical now if the tires were the same width the back end of the truck would be constantly going up hill getting over the dirt build up in frount of the rear tires so to solve this problem and get more traction they have the frount and rear axels staggered .
this concept has bled over the the auto industry true not as drastic but the same basic concept is there .
I think that makes better sence then the rutt theory

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4
http://www.geocities.com/nowheres/Paul_s_720_Page.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.