Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why 8.8\'s suck, & how to waste floor jack bearings

stupid C clip axles! im so glad i wont have the 8.8 in a week from now. i ended up burning up the bearings on my floor jack yesturday.
went mud dragging today, got a decent time in the stock truck catogory, just out of trophy range.
after the mud drags i and about 5 memebrs from my club went wheeling. i drove my truck today, since i was only about 15 miles away, but i really wish i had a trailer. well, out wheeling i blew up a frotn shaft near the end, so i said screw it, ill fix it when i get home. well, about halfway home i take a turn, and boom, the left rear tire kept going straight. FU(K! broke an 8.8 shaft. pulled over, i was on a busy road, on a very narrow shoulder, and that side was facing the street. i went and got my tire and drum from down the road, then i took out the floor jack, jacked the side of the truck up that was sitting on the backing plate, had the jack staright, then proeded to limp down the road about a 1/4 mile to a gas station, with the one side riding up on a floor jack. i needed two wheel drive to acually make the truck want to go straight! so i had to run the ARB up front, and the detroit out back kept it moving, but my floor jack wheels and the shaft it spins on dont look so good. ohh well, it got me there where i could fix it without fear of being hit by some stupid driver.
STUPID 8.8!

i got a phone call late sunday asking for a tow in the morning.
check out this 8.8 its a miracle we arent busting them more!
not a truck/bronco, but mustang with street tires, i mean what a weak axle, and im glad im going away from it in less than a week!!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Re: Why 8.8\'s suck, & how to waste floor jack bearings

Sorry -
. . . but that's kinda funny!

Bad karma, dude. I regularly beat the crap outta mine and it's held up pretty well. I may have cracks in the tube under the spring perches, but I MAY have overtightened the U-bolts when I replaced the spring eye bushings.
I have oil leaks that are localized right there, so I guess that's what it is.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Wow ! What a freakin' ordeal !

Sounds pretty creative using that floor jack to hold you up while you rolled along the hwy. I'd like to have seen that work, can't believe it didn't slip off as you drove the 1/4 mile. Wonder what a state trooper would have said and done if he'd caught your performance.

Guess the added weight and strain of the bigger than stock rims and tires is too much for the axles. It would also multiply the strain if you're still using the stock 3.55, which is probably down to 2.9 something by now.

Going to a 9 inch now ?

Sixlitre

p.s./
Glad you got home safely

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

the mustang had 3.73's in it, we are tryign to find a 9 inch for it. i have a 10.25 for my truck thats going in sunday.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Burned- Sorry for your loss... Thanks for the laugh!!!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

thers something i wanted to ask you about your 10.25 swap-

I know that when you swap in the 10.25, you have to shorten the driveshaft to make it fit. But, seeing as you have 8" of lift already, do you need to shorten it, or will it work fine the way it is?

·
Registered
6,842 Posts

heh, i woulda liked to see that thing going down the road
i like the 8.8 but a locker and swampers is pushing it... that 10.25 will be nice! what did that thing cost you? i'd still like to find one with discs but is that possible without pulling one from a 98+ superduty?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

okay, some info.

i had to leghethen my driveshaft and get a high angle CV when i did the lift. i also bumped it up to a 1 ton joint in a 3 spots, sicne it was simple since my year 8.8 used a flange mounting. i will have to have it shrotened again, but wuptee do, another $35.(me and a guy have a deal, i help advertize for his driveline shop, and i get stuff done extremely cheap, cutting down drivehsfts for $35, extending them for $50, rebuilding the CV head for $50, gear set ups $100)

okay, the 10.25 is out of 87-96(or is it 97) ford F250 HDs and F350s.
i paid $150 at a boen yard, they pulled it out, and it had th eright ratio. it tokk me two months of regular junkyarding to find the one i wanted for that price. that was agazin another deal since i was with my friend at the time, and he knows the guy(another firend was with us and bought doge 60's front and rear for $350)
most yards want $600 for a 10.25

now muddy, on finding one with discs off a superduty, what are you gonna run fo rrims? remember, superduty's have the new metric bolt pattern and other BS

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

I guess if you went with the newer SD rear you could swap to the new Sd front? Again cost and rims would be an issue

G

·

Yeah, but then you'd probably want to get this out of a '02 or newer... '98-01 SD's had the D50 front. Yes, it's a live axle (not to be confused w/the D50 TTB used from '80-97) but the shafts neck down at the carrier to the same as a D44, 1.31" IIRC. If it's gonna fail this is where it'll break, and as such it's really no stronger than a D44 in terms of axleshafts. Also the new D50 fronts use one piece, sealed, non-serviceable wheel bearings. It's a good idea until they fail $$$$$$, and it's kinda funny 'cause I think I saw where Dyntrac is selling a kit to convert to the old, inferior good 'ol style wheel bearings that you have to pack by hand.

In '02 all SD's went to the D60 front. If you want to find a D60 front '98-01 you'll need to find an F350 dually, and then I'm not certain of the logistics to convert it to single wheel.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

What if you used the front 60 from the new dually and the rear from a standard? Would you end up with the same bolt pattern?

I reallize this is all theoretical seeing how it would be near imposible to find this stuff at prices we can afford.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

Yeah BurnedBronco, it was bound to happen. Who is to say how long an axle might last? They should all be about the same strength coming from the factory (8.8's that is, always minor inconsistencies). But an 8.8 is an 8.8. With lots of wheeling, maybe an agressive style??? maybe not... But with 36 x 14.5 on 10's. Nothing is cut and dry in what will last and what won't, too many variables. Safe to say, your 10.25 will hold up better to your current setup than the 8.8.

Same goes with 8.8's in 'stangs. Many swap to the 8.8 as a performance rearend. And many have held up well. It certainly is not the stongest setup for trucks or high horsies. But many like it, depending on the need, because overall it is a well-built semi-floater, is fairly light, plenty of gear choices, performance diffs, etc.

So, don't go figuring out how to now slap on 44's, or you again will be skating the envelope.
BTW, what was your 1/4 mile time on the floor jack to gas station run???

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

8.8 a semi floater ,thats news to me!! a semi floater is classifeid as a bearing retainer axles, where ares a C clips, or thats how i classify them, and have heard.

bout 7 mintues as i was watching the floor jack hit every crack in the road!

i have beat on it, an di will nto deny it, but i try to be easy on it. in the mud and ruts i hammer on it pretty bad, on the trails im pretty hard on it. i get into some badspots into the rocks with it, but once all 4 wheels start to hop, ill back off, cuase them im just asking for trouble.

on the mustang, when we torched the axle out yesturday the the tube even fell right out on the cracked side when we grapped on it to pull it out., we scored another 8.8 from a yard for it today for $70, and it even has another posi in it, so hes gonna sell that to almost pay for the axle. time to see how long this one lasts.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Floating

That actually referrs to how much of the vehicle's weight is applied to the driving axleshaft. On a full floating axle, NO weight goes on the axleshaft, and you can identify them easily by the large bearing housing sticking out of the hub, with bolts for the axleshaft visible with the hubcap removed. On a semi-floating axle, weight is only applied at one end (the outer end) where there is no "wheel" bearing - the wheel is attached to the axleshaft, and the SHAFT has a bearing in the end of the axle tube.

Some semifloaters use pressed-on bearings to retain them in the axle tube, and others use C-clips.

The D44IFS is a full-floater; the 9" is semi.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Floating

ya, im used to the bearing retained ones calle smi floater ,and the c clips, those are just crap axles, hell even my zuk didnt have C clipps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts