Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend wants to replace the 4 cyl in her '81 CJ5 with a 4.2L 6cyl. Does anyone know a good place to buy a rebuilt engine from? And also, hos anybody swapped out a 4 cyl for a 6cyl on a CJ5? Just want to make sure it's an easy swap.

-Dorian
www.4Low.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell your friend he might want to consider swapping in a 4.0L HO from a wreck. Depending were you're located, you might be able to pick one up with the computer for the same price or less than a rebuilt 4.2.

Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your going to do a swap, you might as well go for a 4.0L or a 4.0L with a 258 crank and rods to stroke it.

If you don't mind the drive, you could get a 4.0L from a late model wreck in Vancouver, B.C. This will save you a bunch with the exchange because you'll probably find prices are simular before the exchange.

For instance: A local wrecker on the island wanted $1200 for a 4.0L MPI out of a wrecked Cherokee that had only about 40k km on it. That would be about $800 US.

You might find something in the paper as well. For instance, I have a 4.0L long block (no MPI) for sale at $500 (approx. $340 US).

I'm just going to do a search for the Lower Mainland Buy&Sell on the web and I'll give you Gary's Wrecking contact info as well (they wreck Jeeps). BRB

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.