Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i'm going to be getting a reman engien in about 3 weeks. any one have any recomendations? recon? sparton? westlaenginering. i want a good warrenty but only want to spend around 1300 bucks. the engien that i will be getting is and AMC 360. thanks

80 cj7 304, WC t-5

·
Registered
585 Posts
I did this same thing several years ago. Just finishing college, money tight etc. Bought one of these POS remanufactured engines. DO NOT DO IT!!! If yours is in decent shape (no cracked cylinder, thrown rods whatever) rebuild your own. Any decent shop can do it in a week and save you money. The engine I bought never ran right period. First the heads were warped-had to buy a gasket kit and plane the heads to even get it to hold water. Five years later after maybe 2000 miles tore it down, it had thrown rods-three bad cylinders, none of the rods matched-had three number 4 cylinders! Heads needed rebuilt yada yada. It is a serious waste of money. Sorry for the soap box but those crooks piss me off. rebuild yours.

·
Registered
605 Posts
This might be a little out of your price range, but they build good engines:

http://www.golensengineservice.com

Check out their selection of Jeep RV style engines...The AMC engines are the most expensive of the bunch though. I was at this shop today. They are rebuilding the heads for my 302. Had some nice engines going out.

'79 CJ-7

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
There is an organzation that deals with remfg. parts, cannot remember the name but PAW are members. Anybody that is a member is held to strict quality. If I did not enjoy my own engine work I would buy a PAW engine.

brownbagg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the reman engiens that i'm looking at come with a warranty. one has one that is 3 years 50k miles anoght has 15 month unlimited miles. both cover parts and labor.
any one else have any info?

80 cj7 304, WC t-5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i checked with jasper they were way out of my price range. wanted. 2575

80 cj7 304, WC t-5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You asked "Who has the best remanufactured engienes (sic) for the $ ? The answer still is "Jasper". They aren't cheap OR inexpensive, but still the best value for the price.

Jerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd rebuild what you have. I haven't followed the business, but if it's like nearly anything else, they will pull apart a bunch of core engines, refurbish the parts to a "should fit good enough" condition, and then put the parts in whatever block happens to be next in line.
I bought a reman short-block one time, and I never felt all that confident that the fitment work was even close...
Anyone with clean hands and a fairly clean area can assemble a engine properly, if they get a good manual, take their time, pay attention to detail, and ask questions, it will be better than any assembly line is gonna do.
It's spooky when you think about how fast these parts are spinning, and how close they come to hitting each other, but the rush you get when you fire it up the first time is awesome, well worth the effort, for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i guess i should refase my question best reman for my price range. to rebuild it myself it would cost just as much or more. to bore and polish pistins groudn crank. all new pistins and connectign rods. all new bearings. new rocer arms the valv springs. it adds up to just as much as it would cost to buy a reman one. plus i dont hvae time to do it i hvae to work every day to save up enough money to get an engien. so the question still stands who has the best reman for around 1300 bucks. has any one had good luck with one?

80 cj7 304, WC t-5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was in your situation a year ago and I went with the Autozone engine. I haven't had any trouble yet app. 2000 miles. I don't trust it really for the readsons mentioned but for me at the time it was the right choice.

K-16

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I am running a reman engine that I bought at PartsAmerica. I've been (almost) totally happy with it. I do have a small amount of noise upon start-up. I've been told it's a wristpin, and very common to rebuilt Ford motors. But I still beat on the engine, and it's been very trouble free. I know this doesn't help you much, but I'd have to agree with the others, have your engine rebuilt. Any decent shop will hold tighter tolerences than some mass produced/assembly line place. It's pretty close to a crap shoot, and hopefully you get a good one.

I would do it again no question. But I haven't had any luck rebuilding engines on my own, and have always had good luck with Autozone parts. I'd probably lean that way, if my engine needed replaced. I'd do the install myself to try and save a little money. But if you are looking for somebody to install it, I'd have it rebuilt and installed at the same place.

How's that for walking a fence??

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Same thing here I put one in from PepBoys due to time and transportation constraints.It was not my first choice and could have been rebuilt locally for around the same price.and It has about 13,000 on it and is still running .With jeeps you never know when you turn the key what is in store for ya.some days mine seems to run like a race car some days all it seems to do is make weird noises .
I put in a NP 435 trans ,after replacing all the bearings on the mainshaft and putting it in it was making a knocking sound which I thought was a rod knock in the engine due to where I purchased it,but I couldn't quite pin it down so I took out the trans and replaced all the bearings in the trans on the counter shaft and bearing retainer ...It still has that knock ....sometimes not always.It is a fairly straight foward trans to work on not too much to screw up in there.
My point is nomatter who rebuilds it you will always wonder if they screwed up
even if you do it yourself.some people take them right from a junkyard stick them in and never have a problem....especially with the quality of anything these days.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
I bought a rebuild kit for around $600 and payed around $300 for the engine to be tanked, the block bored and the pistons installed on the rods. My dad and I did the valves and valve seats and I put it all back together over the course of a week. It really wasn't that hard to do and it was my first rebuild. It's still going strong with 36K miles in 2-1/2 years.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess it's a matter of luck whether you get a good rebuild or not. I rebuilt my 304 for around $1100 but that was only tanking the block, planing the heads and valve work and a rebuild kit. That was about 3 yrs ago and it leaks oil and one lifter has stopped oiling and oil pressure is not great so I'm not too proud of my work but it was my first and it still hauls my ass around.
On the flipside I bought a UAP 350 for my 92 gmc and it knocks for a second or two on startup and gets 10 mpg and 60 miles less to a tank than my old engine got so maybe I should have rebuilt it or had a shop do it. If you have the time and space, I found engine building to be fun but maybe I'm easier to amuse than most!

81 CJ7 304/904/D300 scout 44's locked, full cage, 33"wildcats, warn HS9500i, bush bar from hell and diamondplate sides to cover gaping rust holes!! Coming soon OBA!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.