Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new gears and a locker for my CJ7. Who has the best prices? Will I hate the detroit locker if I drive on the street often? I could get an ARB but would rather not shell out an additional $150.

Thanks,
Tom

85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI

· Registered
1,481 Posts
Drivetrain Direct made me a great deal on my gears and lockers. Check out the "Power Package" deals on their site.(Dana gears and Timken bearings) I was going to buy the Detroits from Rosser because they were on sale ($419 in Oct.) but Drivetrain matched the price. Get the "soft" Detroit. I drive my CJ everyday and love the feel of the lockers!!!
79 CJ7 304 Dana 44s 33" BFG MT Detroits f&r winch 4" Trailmaster springs Rancho 9000 ect.

G

·
Same here got my superior gears (4.56), and superior 1-piece axles from Drivetrain Direct and the Detroit Soft Locker from Rossers,,,didn't know Drivetrain would match their price, should have asked I quess.
Haven't got mine back together yet so can't say about the locker yet.
83 CJ7 4" Superlift, 33" MT's, 4.56's, Superior One Piece Axles, Rear Detroit Locker, Warn X8000I, K&N, S.S Brake Lines, 258 C.I., 5 Speed, Dana 300

G

·
Are you installing the gears yourself? I want to put gears in mine but the local shop wants ~1200 for parts and install. How hard is it to do it right? Thanks,

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

G

·
$1200 bucks!!! No way! My local shop is going to do it for $300, I was really happy with that price. Actually it will probably be only about $250 because I took the old gears out, but if you do that make sure you save all the shims and know where they went because that is the starting point when you put it back together.

I did a write-up on my webpage about it and 3/4tonYJ also did a great write up on his page....don't have his URL but I linked to his site from mine.

Chris
[email protected]
http://www.extreme-jeepin.com

G

·
Tom if you are doing the install yourself buy from Randy's R-n-P, the documentation he provides is top notch. They will also make you a package deal on gears lockers and install kits. They provide new carrier bearings in their kits while alot of others do not. If you are going to have it done locally call Austin Drive Train @ 512-454-1488 and talk to Chris, they wanted 225.00 for my 44 rear and 250.00 for the 30 front, they are the only spicer dealer in Austin so you must buy gears from them @ 175.00 or so, They do not sell Detroit but will let you supply that from where ever, they provide 12 month warranty I think. Good Luck and if you need some help lt me know.

AustnJPR

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

G

·
Well after reading all this I feel better about the install price I got for gears and locker $300 for install.
I had the Motive Gears which are really hard to set, the shop said it took them 5 1/2 hours and I already
removed the carrier! They only charged me for 4 hours plus carrier bearings, caps? and inner seals.
Parts where $90 and labor $200. I nearly passed out but I guess this is normal cost.
This was for the the front BTW.

Lee

/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

· Registered
339 Posts
Randy's made me the best price and like the Austnjpr said, the most complete setup. Genuine spicer gears for the Dana30 up front and US Gear for the M20 out back. They were a few dollars higher on the Detroit for the Dana axle, but over all cheaper on the whole kit.

RocknCJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Sorry man, I think I've been working too much. I'm considering having a shop do the rear gears and then doing the fronts myself. Or, if I get a little more courageous, i'll just try it myself. It can't do that much damage, worst-case I'll have to try it again, I'd still save money over a shop.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

G

·
Yeah, get the dana/spicer gears and complete install kit and you should be fine. Without knowing better I got the Motive Gears and they're a real PITA to set otherwize I would have tried it.......

· Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone done the install with Randy's book? Did Randy's provide telephone support? What specialty tools are necessary? I think I could do it myself if I took my time I have all the normal shop tools and air tools. I could remove the axles from the CJ too make it easier to work on. Who has tried this at home?

Thanks,

85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI

· Registered
4,060 Posts
I was quoted $500 from Leon Rosser for a front/rear set of D44 4.10 R&P gears, carriers, & installation kits. I called 4-Wheel Parts Wholesalers and they matched the price, plus they have a better warranty and I can buy the Detroit E-Z lockers from them while I'm at it. I'm also getting some RS5000 shocks from them as soon as my shackle-reversal comes in from Full-Traction.

G

·
The documentation from Randy's is the best out there bar none. Phone support is no problem from these guy's. The right tools are a must, a some what clean work area is a good idea, a good press is invaluable, an extra set of hands helps alot also. One last thing take your time, lots of time, remember its alot of money down the drain if you do things wrong.

AustnJPR

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

· Registered
4,060 Posts
A dial indicator is a must for setting the backlash on a R&P. A good one can cost as much as $200-300 (so I've heard) but that is still a good deal considering the average cost for setting up both axles, provided you have ALL the parts, is $500! And this is without installing a locker (although I doubt a LockRight or EZ-Locker would add to that cost, others might)

· Registered
969 Posts
Hooey!

You don't need a $200 dial indicator. You can get one that will do everything you need at Sears(not expensive at all), then all you need is magnetic base (Harbor Freight sells them for under $40).

I had a dial indicator, and we made our own magnetic base/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

I haven't set up a Dana 44, but from what I understand if you plan to set up more that one set, get you an extra set of carrier bearings and hone them out so you can use the honed bearings to set the shims for the carrier and not be pressing your good bearings on & off a gazillion times (you WILL destroy them if you press them on & off too many times).

As to prices, if you haven't gotten the stuff yet, check with Essentially Off Road http://www.essentiallyofforad.com 615-893-8814 - I am pretty sure they will match or beat just about anyone you call...

<a href="http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota">

· Registered
4,060 Posts
Alright- I hear a lot of people mentioning Harbor Frieght...but where is this? I live in Florida and have never heard of Harbor Frieght anywheres except on this BBS.

G

·
I ordered mine from Drivetrain Direct on jps4ever's advice and was VERY pleased. Power package includes genuine Dana gears and Timken bearings, shims instal kit. They matched a Rosser ad, I believe, and sold me Detriots at $448 each. Shipped to my door price was $1,362 for gears and install kits for D44s, and two detriots. Ask them to include torque spec sheet and pinion setting sheet.
Shain

G

·
Sycho, harbor frieght is predomanently a mail order company that sells tools real cheap, that's both quality and price.
I just tried them for the first time and got an Ingersol Rand impact wrench, deep sockets, tranny adapter plate, ratcheting wrenches and an angle finder for $160 shipped. I'm pretty happy with that. Get a catalog from them and check out the stuff http://harborfreight.com/

Lee

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.