Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm a Jeep/Dodge guy....well..i was a Dodge guy. My new ram has 55000 miles on it now, i bought it new, and its become rediculously unreliable. So its time has come and i'm not buying another Dodge. I drove the Stupid duty and Silverado and i liked the Silverado. I chose a 2001 2500HD crew cab 4x4 LS. If anyone has a similar truck...is there anything i should know of? wierd problems, annoyances, squeaks, rattles, excessively poor mileage, breakage, tire wear, etc? And, if you'd be so generous, I'd like to get an idea of how much you were able to negotiate off the window sticker price. I'm not new to new trucks, or negotiating, but i am new to the Chevys. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!!!

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've got a 99 2wd Silverado, so not quite like what you are looking at. But, some of the things I've had/have problems with: extended cab windows- lots of wind noise
strange rattles and clanks from the front and rear
windows clunk when raising them(the bolts holding the mechanisms in the door come loose)
transmission slips on occasion when leaving from a stop
Oh yeah, the fact that the dumbass designers put a motor in a heavy truck that doesnt make any torque until 3000rpm!! 5.3l
Other than that, its comfortable, gets good milage(just got 21mpg to and from Las Vegas this past weekend), if fairly quiet even with my aftermarket exhaust and big open K&N filter.
As for pricing, I got one of the first few in my area. Dealers were adding upto $3000 to the sticker. I got mine for $2000 under window sticker.I'm a salesman, so I know how to grind em! The key is to not be overly excited about the truck, and walk away if they say they cant do any better. Also, check prices online. You end up dealing with the fleet dept, and they seem to just want to sell the vehicles at whatever they can get. I just bought a 2002 Explorer, and saved $4000 over the best dealer price.
Good luck.
Phil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a '00 silverado 1/2 z71 5.3.
I like it alot 13,000 miles, issues well I had it turn off twice for no reason what so ever the dealer re flashed the ECM and I haven't had an issues since.
Gas it does OK I guess for a pickup around 17-18 it's about a 1/2 and 1/2 city to highway.
I have only pulled maybe 3 times all three I would say it didn't pull much different than my 95 pre-vortec other than the tow haul button really changes your shift pattern (way firm)
People will say a IFS sucks lifts are expensive (which they are) but if your looking for a straight up mud machine pickup a new truck is not your answer anyway.
It does and will hold it's own just fine for me anyway.
I bought a regular cab because the squeks and rattles of all the plastic in any new truck drives me crazy, if I wanted a squeker bad azz mud toy I would have bought an oldie but I wanted a do it all ride nice and azz kicken when it needs to be machine ... chevy silverado ...oh yea I would do it again.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
What engine did you get? The 6.0, 8.1 or the big 6.6 Duramax diesel? Auto or Standerd tranny? And also get some pics up here soon! We all like pics/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifYodas Day Off/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey remy, what's the story on the dodge? what problems did you have? what was covered and what did you have to pay out of your own pocket? i'm curious cuz a friend of mine had a 96 ram 4x4 and he traded it in in less than 2 years.

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our neighbor has a new silverado HD 3500 and that thing only has 5000 on it and it has been in the shop twice for problems. Both repairs cost him upward of $700. Of course we all have a tendency to pull ours too much so if you don't pull anyhting too heavy like a boat or camper instead of a 30 foot disc or 8 bottom plow you should be ok. I would suggest the new dodge one ton diesels, they seem to have the proven track record. Too bad John Deere doesn't make a pickup, that would beat everything!

Nothing runs like a Deere
Travis

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I bought my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 sport new in July of 98. It began life as a pretty reliable truck, minor annoyances like wind noise from the 4th doors, but thats what i get for buying one of the first few quad cabs. It had issues like coolant leakage from the thermostat housing, numerous sueaks and rattles, HORRIBLE UNCURABLE BRAKE SQUEAL, i get about 10mpg around town 15 on the hwy, IF i'm lucky, and the A/C is off. But, most recently, the front axle decided to toss its axle ujoints, and since i live in an apartment complex, i had to have it done by someone else, and it cost me nearly $500. that was 2 weeks ago. this week, it decided it no longer likes its A/C compressor. That was the nail in its coffin. I've had enough. The rearend also has a HORRIBLE clunk when put in reverse, its had it since it was new, all dealers swear its normal, either way, i dont like it. This truck has never been raced, abused, mistreated in any way shape of form, and i do ALL maintenance in HALF of what the manual says, sometimes even more frequently. I fought the rear window leakage for almost a year till the dealer finally fixed it on the SIXTH try. This was my second Dodge, the first one seemed bulletproof, i never should have gotten rid of it, but i did. So I WONT be buying another Dodge, i want something RELIABLE whose dealers will stand behind their product after the sale. Another HUGE problem i've ALWAYS had with Dodge, in NJ, FL, and some states in between, is finding a dealer who can fix the problem right the FIRST time, and be courteous about it. The main reason i bought this truck was for its SOLID FRONT AXLE which has proven nothing except that it rides like a connestoga wagon, handles and steers like a wet noodle, and is more unreliable that IFS. I have also determined that my "off-roading" needs can easily be accomplished by a stock 4x4 with some good tires and a come-a-long. So here I am, in a place i never thought i'd be, the Land of GM....hehehe Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm still in the process of going back and forth with dealers on prices, trade in value, and such. i'll let you know what comes of it. thanks again!

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.