Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has the best prices on rear axle wheelbearings? NAPA wants $80 for new bearings and seals, seems kinda high. I'm looking for the ones at the outer axle, not on the 3rd member.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hello Jeepn (shouldn't that be Zukn :)

I recently needed a complete set of front wheel bearings and my local generic parts house kindly offered to order the bearings for $30 a set. I said no thanks and went to an industrial bearing dealer and got the bearings for $18 a set. Look in your phone book for an industrial bearing shop; also, you will need the bearing number, they can't look up bearings by application.

HTH,
James Hiers
[email protected] (temporary address for the summer)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just bought two sets from a local parts house. They were 30$ each set. These bearings also came with the retainer collar. The old collar usually doesn't survive the process of removing the old bearing. I also went with the spidertrax rear disk brakes so there is no fooling around with the backing plates.

"Reality goes on without me!"

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, it is in there, I'm wondering how welded it is.

I think I may just snag the rear axle from the '87 Zuk at the house, I need to grab the front as well. Since we just towed it 350+ miles, I know they're probably good. I know I'll only have on break if I snap the long one, but I'm flat towing it on the highway anyway.

Who said Zuk stuff was cheap? For that price I can almost have a D44 narrowed on one end and use that. Sheesh!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
Jeepn, this is a copy from a earlier post on this.

"I called my NAPA and the price is....$23.96 per bearing. The # is GRW-185R That is the rear axle wheel bearing. If you would like to call, the number is 219-255-0348. They do not carry them in stock, but can have them next day if ordered early enough. I have no idea why prices are different. Thats a Indiana phone number."

I just can not figure why the price is so different. That is the price I pay. If you cant find them cheaper, I can buy them and mail them to you. $80 is just crazy!

John
87 suzuski samurai

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.