Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Carparts.com has the 1/3 off sale, maybe it's time for that winch. So which one should I buy? I've
got a CJ7 with full glass tilt forward front end which makes me think I might want the low profile, but it
said it was 66% faster, is that a good thing? I thought I'd be giving up power for speed. I seldom offroad
but there have already been a couple times I could have used it even though I finally got out anyway.

G

·
which winches are you looking at? i know that ramsey and warn are in the middle of what seems to be a motor war. personally i like the 8274. almost 30year track record, its fast, dependable, and if taken care of it will outlast your rig. give me more info and i will see if i can help shed some light.

dan
best wishes this turkey day.
why is there no mazda thread?
I feel left out.:p

G

·
if you only need it for occasional use what do you need high line speed for? I'd go with a lower profile planetary style, the rule of thumb is 1.5 times your vehicle weight as a stall rating, for recreational use a 6000lb winch would be more than adequate to get you out of most stucks. serious offroaders usually have an 8000lb winch or more. heck I know one guy who uses a 2000lb winch on his jeep, when he is only a little stuck it will give him the extra pull he needs and if thats not enough he just starts adding pullys, slow as hell but better than digging.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I,m running a 25 year old 8274 warn, it has gave me no trouble except for a solinoid or cable. But which winch to buy i would say " buy the most winch you can afford." any is better than none and bigger is better than small. As far as brands, if they been in business longer than 10 years they are good winches.

brownbagg </font color=red>

G

·
The 8274 blocks too much radiator for my liking on my daily driver. I went with the Warn M8000 (from carparts.com)--low profile, plenty of power, and under $400 delivered.

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 8274 is out, I won't be able to open the tilt forward one piece front end. I'm kinda looking at the
XD9000, I assume the relay box can be located anywhere, the XD9000i looks like the box is part of the
winch, cannot be relocated and is therefore taller again a problem with the tilt front end.

The choices seem to be Warn or Superwinch from carparts.com, I don't see Ramsey listed. Cost is not
a major concern, but even though the Superwinch Husky 10 looks like a helluva winch it's got a
helluva price to go with it and I don't think I need that much winch since I'm not building a tow truck. The
major concern is the tilt forward front end and it looks like I have to mount the winch in a custom front
bumper rather than above the bumper. This means the mount would be in the vertical plane and the
cable would come out what is normally the top in a conventional mount, I can do that can't I?. the only
other choice would be a receiver type mount and I don't want to do that. I'd also like some dimensions,
but I haven't found any at the Warn site.

G

·
as far as dimensions go call warn 1-800-543-9276. i would probably in your case go with the xd9000. they can be mounted vertically you will have to rotate the motor and clutch housing(really easy). the wire rope can only come off of the bottom of the drum or else the brake will not work properly. those are some really good prices for any winch, if i only had the money :p

dan
best wishes this turkey day.
why is there no mazda thread?
I feel left out.:p

G

·
As much as I would love an 8274 there is no way Im putting that big mutha in front of my Jeep and not have it overheat on the way to the trail. Maybe in some other state besides Arizona I could get away with that.

I just purchased the HS9500...non-integrated solenoid. It is the same height (7.6") as the xd9000 but almost two inches longer.

The integrated solenoid models have 25' extra cable. 100' vs 125'

Good Luck,

LarryM
85 CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd
'00 TJ Sport, NV3550 5spd, D44, Teraflex system

G

·
about the hs9500i, what are the dimensions exactly. the width, height, depth, length? I want to know if it will fit into the ARB bumper I have, also, anyone have the same dimensions for the xd9000i? thanks guys.

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found the dimensional information at warn.com but beware, the site must have been written by
somebody's 8 year old kid. Most of the stuff on the menu on the left doesn't work, click on the word
winches in the main part of the page. You will also probably get several "program performed an illegal
operation" errors that will shut down your internet software. Persistence will get you there though.

G

·
I'm looking at the Warn M6000SDP. It's replacing the M6000 and weighs only 45 lbs, which is nice for the front of a CJ5. I'm a bit concerned about the fact that it's brand new, though. Does anyone have any experience with this winch?

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right, wrong or indifferent, I bought the XD9000 without the "i" suffix, $475 and change including
shipping. Now, I can go places I was afraid to go before There were a couple others I might rather of had
but I didn't think they would work with the tilt front end. I wasn't around before there was sliced bread, but
I think the tilt front end is at least the best thing since then, maybe before..

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Re: Winch and tilt

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Tilt front end.....yes, sliced bread does come to mind. I still remember getting our first International 2000 series with the tilt fiberglass nose. You could stand between the front tire and the frame and work on it./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Pull two pins and it's off. Driver hits a crash post...you chuck it in the bone pile and send him back out with your spare./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
4,060 Posts

Why does everyone make their front ends tilt forwards? This doesn't allow you to get right at the front of the engine.... Why not make the whole thing tilt back up against the windshiel so you've got access to the engine on all 3 sides, and if you stuck somewhere's with your nose agaist a tree or a rock you cant tilt the front end forwards to get at anything....

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The tilt forward is the best for what I normally need to work on, I can get to eveything including the front
quit easily. The front end tilts to where the innner fenders are almost even with the back of the radiator.
BUT, if that's not enough room, I can pull the front bolts and a connector and either tilt it backwards or
remove it by myself. It would be a lot heavier to open if it tilted back normally and there is less chance
of it coming up in my face on the highway at 80MPH.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif The other problem is that it would require so much overhead clearance that you could only open the hood in a high bay shop/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·

CJTaz,

Where did you buy that XD9000 from, carparts.com?

That sounds like a great price, does it include the mounting plate and roller fairlead?

I was going to get a Ramsey Rep8000 that priced out to about $620 including shipping but
appears to be a better deal.

Lee

[email protected]

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I'm not sure what it includes. The photo shows the fairlead and the Warn page says it's included on that
model. I don't know about a mounting plate, I'll be doing a custom mount anyway.

G

·

Panther, I got the M8000 with the roller fairlead from carparts.com for about $380 delivered! I was going to get the rep8000 until this deal came along. Here is the site:

http://www.carparts.com/parts/index.asp?OrderIdentifier=ID866641222911199911&reflink=0|984|0&

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.