Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 81 Scrambler (narrow trac) and want to swap in different axles. First let me describe the way I intend to use the vehicle. About 70% street and 30 % off road. The off road is mostly going to be Colorado mountain roads and rough trails, though an occaisional trip to Moab for moderate trails (think, Poison Spider, Steel Bender, Fins, etc.). The Scrambler is the 258 with D300 and T176 four speed. I hope to run 35" tires max. It has a 4 inch SUA lift and some trimmmed sheet metal.

The current narrow trax axle set is 2:73 M20 with trac-loc and D30.

Here are my choices.

Option # 1: In my garage I already have a rear narrow trac D44 with 4:27 gears and a full Detroit. If I decide to keep this then I have to regear my existing D30 with 4:27s. Downside is still narrow trac, but good gear ratio. Probably $300-500 to regear front don't you think?

Option #2: For $175 I can get a SUA wide trac set of M20 w/1 piece axles 4:10 gears, D30 front (disc) open carriers. Good gear ratio, no locker, bolt on easy.

Option #3: For $200 I can get a SUA rear wide trac CJ7 factory D44 4:88 gears and full spool. If I do this I need to buy another wide trac front D30 and regear. But a factory D44 would be nice.

So what makes the most sense and is most cost effective given my intended us. I am torn between several. All would be better than the stock setup.

Give me your take and opinions. Remembering cost is an issue and I prefer to not have to do too much mods in terms of installation.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Buy both option 2 and 3. Swap the 4.27 gears from your NT into the wide 44, and swap in your fronts to the wide 30. Reassemble the leftovers and sell off everything you don't need, you'll probably end up $ ahead.

Or just buy the wide tracks and sell the NT's for a locker.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I am not necessarily against the narrow trac. I do think the WT is clearly more stable, both on and off road. I suppose I could buy a different wheel set with 2" back spacing (15x8) instead of the 4" BS I have now. That would almost make up the difference between the NT and WT.

The cost of doing the D30 to 4:27 is the real question. The gears and master install are about $225 and then a couple $$ for someone to install. Is this too much to spend on a D30?

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
IMHO, I'd upgrade/harden what you've got. Two lockers and you're done. It's not as if you're going to be charging up 90% grades, over boulders bigger than the Jeep or grabbin' air every chance you'll get.

From the description of the driving you'll be doing, I'd clock the transfer case, and keep it as close as possible to a stock configuration.

Don't forget that roll cage!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Like Levi says, two lockers ..... and a 4:1 kit for the Dana 300. Keeps your highway gears and allows for lower gears on the trail.
Lots of ways to go, all are probably good.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
A friend just installed 4.88s in his CJ with t-176 and D300. Keep in mind the first gear in the T-176 is not a crawler gear. It helped his slow speed capabilities a lot, but not as much as I had initially thought it would. If you really want to do well on moderate trails and want some crawl ratio, you'll have to go 4.88s for sure (IMO) or a combination of the other gears and a crawl kit for the D300 as stated above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts