Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 5 spring pack up front on my 89 YJ and the 4 spring pack on back on my 89 YJ. Is this the correct setup? I got to looking at it because the rear shackles are always bottomed out. A reputable 4x4 company installed my black diamond suspension lift. So I never suspected that to be the problem, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Oh 1 more item;;If it is wrong and i reverse the setup, will it make the front end sit lower??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That is your problem.

You will likely have a problem reseating the rear, as there are centering "nipples" on both front and rear springs. The front springs only have a 1/8" of centering, while the rear (which are on your front) have one, and then another nipple welded to the top it. Here is a feeble attempt at what the rear set-up looks like... (the periods are nothing, igonore them!)

........[]seat axle here
.........[]install shim here
.... top of spring pack

The offset holds the shims in place, and the top nipple seats the axle. That's how I found my mistake (I thought 5 in the front made more sense as there is more weight up there (shows you what I know!))... I bet the shop had to fight to seat your "front" springs (which are really the rear) and crushed the offset nipple...

The front springs are longer than the rears. This is 100% your problem... Since it's been a year, I bet the shop won't help you.

Good luck...

Jon-YJ94
I'd rather be...
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it matter which end of the spring goes toward the front of the jeep?
Will this change the ride height?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I remember/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif from my installation (tested it again today!)/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.. only one side fits into the spring hanger with little or no play...

Just a heads up.... Your spring hangers are likely already bent. If not, you will need to spread them a little to fit the "head" of the spring. I had to do this to all four hangers...

Are you flipping the springs yourself?

Jon-YJ94
I'd rather be...
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will probably do this myself. It looks pretty easy. I have a hi-jack to lift up the jeep and a floor jack to lift up the other end. I'll just do one side at a time. Take off the rear spring and put it on the front. I cleaned the springs today and noticed they do have numbers on them. Will this tell me if the shop installed them wrong?

Thanks for your info. Will the spring swap change my ride height? Because i love the way the jeep looks in the front.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jon YJ94,
just curious, why do you only run 31" tires with the 3.5"lift?

This shows jrtg responding, but it is really jun11. I'm on someone else's computer during the weekend.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes... the #'s will tell you which side is which. You can call Warn to verify (probably a good idea before you start the swap...)

Word of caution on flipping one side then the other.... the springs will "pop" off once you release them from the body or shackle... This pop will be exaggerated while the other sides tire is resting on the floor. This creates LOTS of additional pressure on the springs/axle, as that side is somewhat compressed. Just be careful! (or learn from my mistakes.../wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif) If you can, get all four sides of the car on jack stands (usual precautions apply)!!! and try it that way. Oh yeah, you'll need a floor jack, too...

Anyways... I'm running 31's because I had to pay off the jeep before I could start upgrades. I needed new tires during the payoff period, and 31's are all I could stuff under there without significant rubbing. I plan on istalling D44 F&R, with 33 or 34's and a 1" body lift... (yes, I'm daydreaming again...)/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Jon-YJ94
I'd rather be...
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
5-leaf pack goes in the rear. Many people think it goes in front due to weight of engine. This is wrong. Also, the larger diameter spring eye goes into the fixed mount and the smaller diameter eye goes into the shackle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jun11 called Warn. They told him that the 5 springpack goes on the front. This doesn't make any sense to me, as the axle wouldn't seat on the rear with the shim, it was too short. Maybe I have the wrong spring packs??? /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

HELP! This could explain my lack of front articulation and body roll... but why would 4 springs have a HIGHER compression rate than 5??? I don't want to turn everything around... What have I done!??

My wife reminded just reminded me... I called Warn during my installation... now, what did they say???

Jun, what size lift is it?

Jon-YJ94
I'd rather be...
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the 3.5" lift. I wonder if you call Warn and talk to a different representative if you'd get the same answer about the spring packs and where they go? I feel pretty confident that the 5 pack does go in front since Warn told me that and the 4x4 shop installed them that way. But if Warn tells you different let me know.

The shims, I installed shims in mine and the holding pin (i guess that is what it is called) was long enough to hold the shim but then it wasn't long enough to go into the axle pad. Most people told me to buy a new spring pin that is longer. They are cheap. But I took mine and had new axle pads welding in the correct position with the pinion/driveline so I wouldn't need shims.

I just installed my new SYI hypershackles. You wouldn't believe the difference in articulation!!!! They are awesome!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
5 on the rear

Ok... I'm on the phone with Warn right now... Technical assistance... Dan helped me. He stated the 5 leafs are for the back... HELLO!???!! issues, issues, issues... I feel confident as I installed them myself that Warn makes a good enough product to account for the shim extensions on the 5 leaf for the rear springs..... Who knows...

Mix a computer and a Jeep, what do you get?
a jeepgeek! (aka: ME)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the five leaf is rear, four leaf is front just like factory. the new five leaf should have a provision for the tapered shim.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: 5 on the rear

It will be interesting to see which ones warn sends me for replacement rear springs. When I talked to them I discussed them sagging and they said I shouldn't have that much sag. They agreed to send me new rear springs. I'll let you know if they are the 5 packs or the 4 pack.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Jun11, lets see some pix of BEFORE HYPERSHACKLE's and AFTER! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Did you get them front and rear, and if so, I need a new job! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Mix a computer and a Jeep, what do you get?
a jeepgeek! (aka: ME)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Since your lift kit was installed backwards it would make sense that the rear seems to be sagging. You have the 46" rear springs on the front, filling a 45" space makes them arch more. The opposite is true of the 45" front springs mounted in the rear, they are flatter than they should be because they are "stretching" to fill a 46" space. The reason for the 5 leaves is not for extra weight. The 5 leaf is has a more versatile load handling ability to compensate for variable load depending upon whether the Jeep is empty or loaded. The front doesn't need this because the load (weight) is more constant in the front.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I only put them on the rear. they are about $160 a pair, not too bad. If you look on leon rossers web page it shows a pic of a jeep flexing with these on the rear springs. try the address below. I lifted the rear with my hi-jack on one corner and could not get the tire off the ground, the hi-jack and jeep started to tilt over.! I'll still try to get some pic's on this post of my jeep. I plan on installing them on the front as soon as I get some more money.

http://www.thinkjeep.com/prodmain/index45.html
then go to Shackles, SFI hypershackles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

PHEW! Thought I was loosing it!..... have fun swapping 'em in... /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Another Jeepgeek!
Jon YJ94

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.