Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time to make a decision on what is going to get me through the gears.

I have installed the Transgo TF-2 reprograming kit into my 727. It is one step short of a full manual. It will hold any gear at any rpm and downshift on command for engine braking.

I am considering the B&M ProRatchet

OR the Art Carr Gate Shifter.

The B&M seems like it might be easier to hit reverse to prevent going over backwards. As I will just need to bang on it a a few times depending on which gear I am in.

It seems that most of the RCAA guys are using the Art Carr unit though. It looks better and is more expensive than the B&M, but I wonder if it is truly better for my rockcrawling application.

Anyone have any experience with these two? Or any other shifters for that matter! Lets hear some opinions!

G

·
What does the reprogramming kit do? why not just install a manuel tranny, seems like it would cost the same? I'm interested in this question as well. sorry I could'nt help...
Tim

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim, the reprogramming kits can do a lot of things.

The main goal is to tighten up the shifts, so they happen faster and firmer. This helps reduce the heat generated, which means the tranny should last longer. In fact Transgo claims this kit will double the life of a transmission.

Some kits also allow you to select which gear you can start in or change to. Most autos from the factory will not necessarily be in the gear that you move the selector to. You get more control of which gear you are in at all times. One of the big benefits of a standard transmission, you now get in the auto.

Not having a clutch to deal with is the best thing about the auto. Some people like doing the three pedal shuffle trying to restart on a tough climb. I prefer not to. (I know what a wimp
)

All this makes you want to put one in the wife's driver, eh!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I have a Lokar shifter on my 727 in my Scrambler. It looks very similar to the shifter on a standard tranny. It is long and easy to reach and there isn't any box base like the B&M kits. The linkage is a series of threaded rods and there is a hefty bracket that mounts to the tranny housing for installation. I am very happy with the setup on my Scrambler. There should be a pic of the shifter somewhere on my website. I made a custom floor plate to fit the access hole in the tub and then used a T-176/D300 boot. It looks very clean. I will post some more pics if you like.

Later,
Tom

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please do. I'll check your site though.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I too have the Lokar for my 700R4 and am very pleased with it. Don't much care for the ratchet stuff.

http://www.lokar.com/indicators.html

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Don't much care for the ratchet stuff."

How come? I would think that they would be great. Have you had or heard of people having bad experiences with them?

I would like to hear some of the negatives.

G

·
I have the truck mega shifter. This is my first auto to deal with also. I like the shifter for normal driving. However, I hate finding reverse. It might be cause I haven't had much time to use the jeep lately so when I do go I get frustrated cause I can't find it. It just seems to be a pain to ratchet back and forth quick enough.

(I am referring to using reverse without having the time to look down at the shifter)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.