Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here is my dilemma. I have an 85 cj-7 with the 4.2, a HEI and holley carb, but now I have to smog it. There is no way I am going to pass the visual inspection much less the dyno test. I live in So. Cal. I have some money set aside for some engine work, but I don't know what I should do. Should I swap a 4.0, Get the mpi kit from Mopar or leave the HEI and get a Howell kit. I was wondering if you knew where I could purchase a high output 4.0 motor and also maybe if there is someone who could help with the swap, perhaps a shop in So. Cal. One more question and I am done . . Who has the best prices on the Mopar mpi and the howell kit. Thanks for all your help guys. This list is the best.

Tim 85 CJ-7 2.5 Skyjacker, 2 inch body, Herculiner, Holley carb, 32 Dunlop Muds, HEI

· Registered
4,520 Posts
hey there.. i dont know where you are at in so. cal.. but there was a place in long beach called AMC salvage.. or just try hunting junk yards.. i would go with the 4.0 swap since you could probably do it cheaper... but i would be doing my own work.. there was a shop in huntington beach that did alot of jeep work.. cant quite think of there name... they have been featured in the magazines doing work for them.. there is also a place in laguana beach, called jeeps-r-us.. they are way cool and can give you plenty of advice..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From personal experience, I would now recommend doing a complete 4.0 swap from a wrecked vehicle. I have the Mopar MPI kit which cost me @$1600 without installation. A friend installed a 4.0 from a cherokee complete with wiring harness into his CJ7. He had some trouble with splicing the wiring harnesses but this was new stuff at the time and I am sure plenty of people now have the abilities to do it better. For the buck I think the complete swap would be cheaper and reap higher rewards. I have seen them for $1400 relatively low mileage. 180 HP compared to 115 stock, or maybe 150 with MPI. Do the background work and be thorough. There are lots of wrecked XJ and YJ's around the country and some yards specialize in them.

· Registered
13,180 Posts
From my experience (I've a Howell TBI):

1. Howell is the only way to go if you want to, or ever may want to, tinker with the engine, cams, etc.
2. SMPI is the way to go if you want to pay more and never will tinker with engine parts.

Both the above are best installed on a fresh engine or often you chase problems and blame it on the Fuel Injection kit.

3. Were I to do it over again, and the opportunity arose, I'd swap in a 4.0L engine with the OEM fuel injecton and be done with it...

Good Jeepin'

Larry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your help guys. I think I am going to go with a swap. Luckily, since i am a teacher I will have the summer off to work on this project. There is a place in Fontana, CA called Scotty's and they are a salvage yard/service center all in one. My dad tells me they do swaps, but we will have to see. Thanks again for all of your help.

Tim 85 CJ-7 2.5 Skyjacker, 2 inch body, Herculiner, Holley carb, 32 Dunlop Muds, HEI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been to Scotty's before for parts. They advertise the lowest price around but that is the furthest from the truth. They are one of the most expensive places for jeep stuff that I have seen around the Inland Empire. Be sure to shop around. My .02c

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.