Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

A good friend of mine needs a new master cylinder for his Jeep. But He doesnt want a stock replacement, here's why:

1977 Jeep CJ-5, factory 304, T-150, originally manual brakes, converted to power using CJ parts.

6" of lift, 36" Swamper TSLs. Front axle is a D44 (locked)out of a J truck with Ford knuckles and chevy outers....or is it the other way around? No matter. Rear Axle is a disk brake Ford 9" (detroit locked, custom shafts) out of a 70s Luxo Hooptie barge.

The standard master cylinder never really did much rear braking. He wants a master cylinder that will work with the power Disk/Disk setup. He has an adjustable Wilwood proportioning valve.

Any ideas what to use and where to get it? Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ANYBODY? Please? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lame.jpg

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Corvette seems to be the most common choice. I'm surprised that someone hasn't chimed in yet. Do a search for 'corvette m' and several threads should pop up with plenty of info.

G

·
Use a master and booster out of a 94.5 or newer ZJ. Make sure to get the aluminum spacer and prop valve. The spacer helps the throw of the pedal, the prop valve is set up for disk/disk and also converts the metric lines to sae.

I did this on my 77 CJ5 with 44/14 bolt with disk/disk. I have no probs stopping with my 38.5 sx's.

Not to mention, the master has an adjustable rod inside to fine tune it.

You have 2 option to mount it. Relocate it lower to miss the hood, or notch the hood.

I relocated it on my first tub and wasn't happy with the angle on the rod. I notched the hood when I did a tub swap and I'm much happier that way.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Try the booster/master cylinder out of a Cad or Lincon with 4 wheel disc brakes.
Cad has a really small booster...

You are at the limit with regular power brakes with the large tires and all...
You may want to look into a hydro boost, off of something like a GM Mini van with 4 wheel discs.
Much increased stopping (line pressure) power and a virtual swap in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts