Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do *no* rockcrawling around here, and there is very little mud as well.
Mostly what I do is some high desert stuff...cruising around in the hills where there is mostly soft sand, small rocks (less than 2' - 3' in diameter). I'm looking for more ground clearance so as not to high center on some of the berms that I encounter frequently.
I'm also looking to run approx. 33" tires for the foreseeable future.
So would a suspension lift, or a body lift better suit me in this situation. And what size?

Personally, I'm thinking of a 1 1/4" shackle, and maybe a 2" body lift. Would that be sufficient to run 33" without too much damage?

G

·
they will rub with that combination. you need a 4" minimum lift and a 1" body. even then you will rub at full stuff. i have the RE4.5 extreme with a 1" B/L, 32's and rubbed just slightly in the rear against the flares. trimmed the flares and no-rub at full stuff.

you say no rocks now but just wait- get a good size lift now.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would a SOA conversion work in lieu of an actual lift "kit"?

I'm going to be on kind of a limited budget for most of this stuff, but at the same time I don't want to spend the money now on something I'm going to replace, because then it ill cost more than doing it the right way the first time.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
A spring over IS a real lift. It will put you about 5" higher than you are now. It is fairly cheap if you have alot of fabricating skills and knowledge of steering geometry, but it is not what I would call a "budget" lift.
If you don't have the resources to do the steering conversion yourself and would have to pay someone to do it then you are better off with 4" springs and a 1" body lift for 33's.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I would have to pay someone to do it, so I guess an SOA is out of the question. But it brings me to my next one..
Any recommendations on a good lift kit at a decent ($600 or less) price? I've heard Pro-Comp isn't that great, so I'm trying to stay away from them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I installed a YJ BDS 3.5" lift on my CJ and I have been more than happy with it. It gave me over 4", I runn 33's and at full stuff don't do too much rubbing. They have a no small print lifetime warranty, if you bought it and you break it they replace it. The Ride is great and I think they would be a great kit for a great price for your application. I know there are other good makes out there, you are going to hear different oppinions from different people. But I really like my BDS. www.bds-suspension.com

Shawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.