Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a 95 YJ rio grande, 2.5l. In may I plan to swap out the little 4 banger for something much bigger. I have seen a lot of guys post that building the 4 banger is better, but I want some real power. I originally was going to use a 4.0l, but when I looked into it, it would cost the same amount if not cheaper to just swap in a V8. He is my delema. This is my first engine swap, but I am getting help from my dad, but he has never put in a new fuel injected engine. I know this is a big project, but I want to do as much as i can so that I know how to fix problems my self. I have looked into the following conversions, 350 chevy engine with a NV4500 tranny, 5.9L Dodge Magnum with a NV4500 trann, or a 302 ford with a tranny that will hold the power. Since this is my first project I want to eliminate as many problems as possilbe. What is the easiest swap? I have the advance adaptors book, and it looks like the small block chevy with the NV4500 is the simplist when it comes to all the needed conversion parts. I imagine that that dodge would be an fairly straight forward swap because all the Jeep conections should just plug in. I havent looked into the Ford swap that much, but if it is worth it I will. I am open to opinions so tell me what you think. Cost is a consideration, but not a priority. I would like to stay under $5000 for a turn key swap, but that is just a goal, and with a jeep we all know that isn't going to happen. By the way I would like to use an engine that is a 95 or newer, I am in the Navy and there is no telling where I will end up regestering my jeep.
Thanks,

Kirk
95 YJ rio grande

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I'm unsure if anyone'll back me up on this or not, but in my opinion, the Chevy 350 is engine choice with the most availability, of both the engines themselves, and parts for them. They have been around for a long time and are very reliable. That's what I'm going to choose when I get a Jeep (right after I finish my genetic engineering project to create a money tree /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif)... I'm not sure what would be easiest to swap in there and stuff like that, however...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm gonna second the Sandman there. It's tough to beat a SBC for parts availability and the most bang for the buck. If you want to keep it simple you can use the tranny and 231 T-case from a S-10 to avoid any costly adapters.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a 350 Chevy with a Turbo 350 tranny(wish i had NV4500!!!) in my jeep. The whole swap cost me about 3300 bucks. If you want all the details on the swap go to http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps
I did a little write up on it and there are some pics so you can see what it would look like.

absolutjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know this may sound a little far fetched but have you thought about putting a 6.5 turbo in? When my engine finally bite the dust that is what I plan to swap in. It has enormous amounts of power and with the right gears you can get aproximately 24 miles to the gallon.
Just a wishful thought.
Kiley
94YJ

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
How would all that extra weight from a relatively big diesel engine affect the handling and stuff of a Jeep? I'd assume it'd need a pretty beefy suspension under the front?

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The front would need heavy duty springs on the front. But from what I hear the 6.5 turbo outweights a 350 by about 200 pounds. I think a set of Procomp rear springs would work or get some made from National Spring. They would build the springs just for your jeep. You might pay a little more but the ride, flex and power would be unbeatable. Spring over with 2" springs from National Spring, Dana 44's front and rear, 35" tires, 6.5 turbo and NV4500 trans equals a dream jeep for me.
Just my little dream. May it one day come true, lol. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The deisel would probably be snapping axle shafts on a rear D44 with 35's, especially with a locker. If you're gonna dream, dream in color and get a D60 in the rear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your right FNG.
If I am going to dream lets do it right.
6.5 turbo, NV4500 trans, 2" National Springs on a SOA, 35x15.50 Boggers, Dana 60 front and rear, ARB's front and rear, York compressor, Full rollcage/airtake, 3.73 gears (for a little better milage on the highway), Np231 with 4.1 low range and SYE.
I think I thought of everything. What did I forget?
Just a dream. Hopefully oneday a reality.
What would yall have as a dream Jeep?
Kiley
94YJ

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I would go with the 5.2 Magnum and the nv4500. The 5.9's are hard to find, and really expensive. The 5.2's are roller motors, they are plentiful, strong, come with a very nice sequiential port fuel injection that is easy to wire. If you went with the Chevy, the initial cost for the motor may be cheaper, but after you add the tuned port injection, it will run over $2500! Another nice aspect of this is the bell-housing. The stock Ram bell-housing will work with the nv4500, and has an external slave cyld. that clears the t-case. If you use the Chevy version, which has an internal slave, the lines will hit. AA states this in their catalog, and wants $500 for a bell-housing.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
As far as dreaming in color, forget the Dana 60 in the rear, use a two speed Eaton from an International truck, and match the low gear to the front! Split shift that puppy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm getting ready to swap in my 350/SM465. Looks like it's going to be a lot of work.

80 CJ7 with 4 inch lift, 33x12.50x15 Trail T/A
98 KX250

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DORFS
What size of international truck????
What year of internatinal truck????
What Eaton axle????
All the 2 speed axles I have seen have been of a large size??
I love the idea of the 2 speed axle.
tell me about this thing dorfs I'm all eyes./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Having all that weight in the front of a jeep actually makes the steering less squirlish. Requiring me to use one full hand in my jeep with power steering, at least that's what my plow does (in addition to making it stop on a dime in the snow with proper weight in the rear) I have a 8' plow and that plus the 304, plow frame and pump must weigh more than the diesel. I do have the factory plow springs. Haven't yet figured a way to lift it with out removing the plow frame, but am looking at some reworking of the plow frame to allow a lift and attachment of the plow at the same time (the more it snows the more jeep goodies I get to buy /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif)
-Mark

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just completed the 5.2l magnum swap in my 82 CJ8 this week. If you can get the engine and trans complete with the wiring and computer from your local truck/4x4 wrecker, you will not find it much harder to install than a bellybutton motor. Yes you will have to make mounts and adapt the harnesses, but with a wiring diagram for the engine and Jeep, it won't be too hard as most of the colors are the same. The mounts off the ram truck could be easily used on a YJ with simple plate brackets made to mate them to the framerails, or use the Mopar Performance street-rod universal mounting kit that fits the old style front mounting ears. The PCM will fit in the stock location if you extend the harness. Your tach, speedo, alternator and guages will work as designed. Your stock clutch control will fit the Dodge trans with only the slave cylinder rod needing to be lenghtened 5/16", the Dodge trans will fit the T-case if you change the t-case input gear to a 23 spline, 4.0l type part,and the Dodge trans mount will fit to the skidplate easily. The 5.9l might actually be no harder to find in a 95 truck as Chrysler was giving them away at the time as a no-cost option on the Rams (shortage of 5.2ls also used in ZJs). Most yards don't get as much call for the Ram engines as for the GMs, and they might make you a better deal especially if you get everything together. Hope this info helps, good luck.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The best thing to do would be to sell the jeep and buy one with the motor you need. The 4 cly model has a weak transmission behind it. To hold the power of the 350 you basically would change the whole drive train axle, trans, transfer, engine

brownbagg </font color=red>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My plan is to swap the whole drive train any way. And since Jeep never made a V8 Wrangler I am going to have to make my own. I am planing on swaping the tranny any way so that is not even a problem. After I get the engine, tranny, and either change my input shaft, or just get a NP231 dhd transfercase, I am planning on swapping the axels too. Face it the D 35C is just not that great, no matter what engine and tire combinations. Plus they only made the rio grande package for one year, and I like the fact that I have semi unique jeep as it is.

Kirk
95 YJ rio grande

·
Registered
194 Posts
I second the idea of putting a 6.5L diesel in a Jeep YJ. I have put 10,000 miles on my YJ with a 6.5L diesel in it. It does have all kinds of power but the best I have gotten is 20 mpg. That is with a 700r4, 35" tires and 4.10 gears. But I have had 6 other engines in my Jeep and this one is the best one yet. I am still running the stock suspension and axles without any problems yet.

YJ with a 6.5L Turbo Diesel
and A.J.'s fiberglass body

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.