Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just looking for opinions here... the pro's and con's of both of these..

i have at my disposal a 401, T-18 6.32, D20, Turbo-400, (2) D300's. But i need a manual flywheel for the 401, and the 401 will be getting balanced this winter.

So, would like to know should i go with the T-18, D20 set up and shell out 250 bucks for the flywheel (which will be useless after the rebuild)... OR... go with the Turbo 400, D300 set up and shell out the bucks for the adapter to mate the D300 to the turbo 400?

I am putting this in a CJ-7 with a D60 rear, D44 front both with 4.10's, and 35" tires.

I am almost to the stage of putting in the engine.. and well.. this is my delema now..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

· Registered
4,675 Posts
T18 no doubt..

If you spend the $$ on a th400 adapter to teh dana 300 tcase, and then drivre ANYTHING with a T18..youll be really really mad

just shorten that fsj t18, rebalance a flywheel to the 401, and then drive in awe the ability of anything equipped with a T18..

the flywheel wont be useless after balancing the engine...? you have to have one either way..

Ill never again own an automatic tranny in an offroad truck..

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

· Registered
4,757 Posts
i have to disagree ozark.. i have had a few t-18's.. and i much prefer the auto in all situations.. rock, mud, sand.. in fact.. i have 2 jeeps now.. one has an sm 465 and one has a tf 727... the granny low is nice, but not like the control i have with the auto.. only on the street does the 4 speed prevail

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net

· Registered
4,675 Posts
my last rig had a AMC 360, and TF727 auto, it wasnt in any comparable to the control i can put down with the T18..

I can control EXACTLY how fast teh rear tires spin with a T18, thats rpetty hard with a TF727.

and I built my TF better than stock, way better..

I went wheeling with WIll a few weekends back in my friends Suzi sami, WILL was spinning the tires ALOT going up these hills.

the sami moved right along just fine in 1st gear low range, rarely spinning at all

WILL runs a th400, im not at all impressed with it, especiall if it requires buying an adapter

your opinions are valued, and Im sure you can talk JEEPGOD into running that TH400 since he doesnt want to buy a flywheel any way.
and thats fine with me, because it means you wont be able to get into the places I want to go..

haha

o hyeah, I wrote an article years ago on the IFSJA website about relocating the vent on a TF tranny, if you get into much water stuff you should check it out

OzarkJeep

· Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well ozark.. it wont be that easy for him.. i do love manuals.. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

i have yet to drive a t-18, but i did drive another of Elusive's jeeps that has a sm-465 in it.. didnt get to wheel with it.. but i liked it on the hightway.. at 85... man that road sweet.. 85 i was turning 2700 rpms.. and just as smooth.. well not quite as smooth as my rx-7.. but damn near..

yes i like the manuals for the control also.. and either way i go i plan on putting the terra low kit in sometime.. probably next year.. and if i can go slow enough then i dont really need to worry about the clutch working too much..

Now .. who has the cheapest 401 flywheel? i know those 2 words dont useally go together..

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif The first time I went off-road with an automatic I COULD NOT believe how well it worked on the slippery, slidy, off-camber stuff......it would really cling pretty good. Then I drove a Jeep with (at that time) "Double-under".....to this day I'm not sure what the setup was....and with THAT SETUP, there was no clutching, and I felt even MORE comfy than I did with the auto. I can remember my Dad preaching to me over and over: "For the tough spots, it's bottom gear and lotsa RPM....that way you won't stall, and you are slow enough that you won't roll it over easily." I shudder to think where I have taken trucks using that very same rule. The army must have known that also, because our old WW II GI six-by-sixes had a VERY deep bottom gear/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.....Our CJ is a SNOJEEP, and we are breeding it specifically for that job with an auto and a Quadra-Trac. If it were going to be a rocky horror, however, I would just go over to our FS GM 3/4T....knock it in the head...and while it was still kicking, pull the entire drivetrain out, engine and all......add a "doubler" between the SM465 and the NP205....and put axles and all under the CJ. It would be hard to beat that arrangement, once we shortened the axles./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
That's close to what I'm running. Although with the "doubled" NP205 I'd be at 100:1 instead of 65. The 3/4 ton axles and the granny low really work well together and I don't have to worry much about it breaking. Sure makes the trails around here seem easy compared to how the Jeep used to be set up. The BA 10/5 and the 3.07's in the 35 and the 30 had no chance of going where this drivetrain has taken me.

Jason '87YJ
(350/NP435/D300twinstick/SOA/GM14-FF-Detroit/D44-Lock-Right/M8274)

· Registered
4,675 Posts
JeepGod,
isnt it possible to rebalance a flywheel to 401 specs?
i know we have covered this amillion times, i finally found a 360 flywheel, so I quit paying attention!

Ill start looking for one for you

OzarkJeep

· Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes i have heard you could.. but i talk to the local engine shop.. and he advised against it.. said it would be better to go with a 401 instead of rebalancing.. i forget why... but it made sense to me.. i dont know anymore... too much of this.. /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif... for me to retain everything..

going to make some phone calls thursday.. and see who has what and for how much..

you did find yourself a 360 flywheel? thats good... i have one of those.. and one from a 258.. somewheres in the storage shed..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.