Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will most likely be replacing my Holley 4-barrel carb soon. I have a Chevy 350 and the mileage is terrible!!! I get gallons to the miles!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Does anyone have a suggestion on which carbarator to get? I have heard that the newer Holleys, (4010/4011 series), gets up in the lower 20's with Chevy small blocks? I just purchased a home and don't have the cash to get into fuel injection and if I can get better gas mileage by spending $250 replacing the carbarator, that's my best bet. When I was younger I was brought up on Carter's for Mopar's so I am a little bias to Carter's/Edlebrook. Thanks for your input....

Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How about looking for a reasonable wrecker and try to find a TBI system that will bolt on. I know nothing about your engine, but I do know that a friend got a TBI system off an Astro van (V6?) and swapped it onto his 258 (inline six). The TBI sytem was $200 from the wrecker and the electric fuel pump was $140 or something new. Takes a little tinkering to get it right, but do some research and see what you can find.


'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)

3,208 Posts
If you're familiar with the Carter AFB, then by all means get one or its' clone, the Edelbrock Performer. I've had better luck with the Edelbrock Performer than I've had with a few different Holleys in the past. Get spring-loaded needle and seats if you're planning on going off road. You could use what Chevy used before fuel injection, the Quadrajet. Edelbrock makes new Q-Jets, but they're twice the price of the Carter/Edelbrock/Holley. I'm now running the Edelbrock Q-Jet # 1904 on both my rigs. It is the best carb for off road due to its' center-hung float bowl.

'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.