Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am looking to get some 1pc axles for my Dana 20. I have a few questions. First, Which is best? Warn? Moser? any others? Where should I order from?

Second, Is it a good Idea to weld the axle tubes for strength?

next, Whats the hardest part about changing the axles?

2pc axle question. I am one to carry extra parts. (driveshafts, yokes, ujoints, starter, altinator, etc)Should I save the 2pc axles for a spare on the trail? Are they trash once they are taken out?

Any help would be greatfull. I plan on buying new swampers in the next 2months and I know the axles will need replacing at the same time.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Every 1 pc kit i have seen is very good...all the moser kits come with timkin bearings now, and they are very good about replacing broken parts..i have also had good luck with their tech department..i like some of the other kits that allow you to grease the bearings without romoving the axles though....they have a hole drilled in the axle flange to get a grease gun into....by far, the hardest and most important part of the install is getting the axle shims correct.the shims should come with the kit(don't use cut up beer cans like me and jeepgod)
about welding the tube..i have never done it. i have never spun a tube and i run about 350 horse..but i have seen it done with a lot less than that..welding might keep it from doing that, and might make it crack there too.... your call
andf lastly...i sure it happens. but i have never seen a 1 pc axle break...so i don't carry spares for it

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
well damn i thought the beer can idea was pretty cool.. since i had to slam them down in about a half hour.. but yes. make sure you shim it properly.. by that i mean put the shaft all the way in bolt it down tight... and it should come tolerances.. like 10 thousands play.. or whatever. and then take it out and shim it to that.. and then repeat on the other side. and i havent seen a spun tube and i didnt carry any spares.. just a bearing for it. elusive did burn up my axle bearing towing a trailer back to wi. and i have blown out a seal before is all.. i had the axle that you could grease.. loved them.. and mosers are great too.. but make sure you get timkin bearings.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.