Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where\'s my brake fluid going?

It started about 4 months ago. My brake pedal was mushy. I ck'ed my master cylider and the front reservior
was about half empty. I had someone sit in the CJ and pump the brakes while I ran around ck'ing the lines,
bleeder screws, ect. Nothing. No leaks anywhere. I replaced the master cylinder and everthing was fine until
yesteday. My front brake started making a strange groaning like noise. I can stop ok, but as I'm coming to a
stop it feels like the brakes grab the rotors all of a sudden. I then ck'ed the master cylinder and both resorviors
was about a inch low??? again I ran around ck'ing for leaks and nothing. Where is the fluid going? am I missing
something? Thanks and sorry for the long post!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Where\'s my brake fluid going?

Do the inside of your tires have fluid stains? Could be wheel cylinders. If not, trace your brake lines from the master cyl to your back wheels, maybe a leak in the lines.

· Registered
1,391 Posts

It's gotta be leaking out somewhere. So check the lines, and the seals - even the filler seal. Could be a small leak inside the wheel, that takes a few days/weeks to be noticed.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I think I'll say the wheel cylinders, too. I had a similar problem with my Chreokee. You couldn't see anything leaking, but if you take the rear wheels off and then the drums off, you might find alot of brake fluid coating all the parts in there. After you have the wheels off, have someone pump the brakes and watch the rubber boots on the wheel cylinder (mine would only leak under pressure). Sometimes if you wait too long to change your rear brakes the wheel cylinder will have to extend so far as to pop the seal on the boot (or at least that what it looked like happened to mine). I never saw any fluid leaking with the wheels on, it just gunked up inside of there... Check it out..... If the problem is the wheel cylinder, watch out when replacing it to make sure when your turning the fitting to it, that only the fitting is turning and not the brake line too (DOH!). Anyways, hope this helps...

Steve

1994 YJ Sahara

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

loosen the bolts holding the master cylinder to the power booster, it could be leaking into the booster and the drawn into the engine, you would never see it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Aaaaaa, sounds to me like it's just evaporating(at least that's the conclusion I have come to with my similar problem)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The brake system is supposed to be a sealed system, if evaporation is the problem -(which I doubt) there is a whole lot more to be concerned about since brake fluid is hydroscopic.
I had a weep hole in the compensator valve on an old chevy once, that took a long time to find tell-tale signs of a leak.

CB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.