Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day when I drove my truck I noticed I had a short somewhere when using the blinkers. It seems that the only time they're affected is when my lights are on but today it only happened when the brake was pressed. The rear tailights will alternate like a cop car and flashes all three lights in order: parking, brake, backup. It looks pretty cool but I certainly dont want it to stay this way. Anyone know the best way to look for a short?
Thanks a lot,
Ben

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I had the same problem. When I pushed the brake, back-up lights, stop lights, and tail lights would light up. I had one of those t-splitters in my tail light wire harness to run to the wires for my trailer. I used the kit form a store that had a circuit protector unit. What happened was that that protector melted inside and shorted everything together. Pulled it out and everything was fine. Do you have of these? If so, could be the problem.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a similar problem on my Burban. It ended up being a bad ground. I grounded it elsewhere and all is fine now. I would check your ground and see if it is grounded well or not.

This mud is for you!
'88 Suburban, 350 TBI, 700R4, 3/4 ton, 9" Lift, 38" TSL's etc. etc. etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok guys, I pulled the trailer harness and it is still acting up. What ground should I be looking at? I did play around with the ground in the rear. By the way, now, half the time the right blinker will work fine but the left is always going berserk. I think it may be something inside the steering column... I could be wrong. Is it possible to find a short without going through every wire or do I just have to hope to get lucky?

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Check inside of that tail light housing. When my truck was only a year old, the pass. side housing's electric terminals inside melted together and caused a short that caused my battery to go dead whild we where on vacation. The light would work fine then every now and then part wouldn't work or it would all work at the same time. GM replaced it for free since mine was under waranty then.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another day of playing around, I made it worse. This has got me so frustrated. I've now pulled the taillights off, checked wiring, pulled the trailer harness off and connected without it, the ground was redone and the electric brakes have been redone. Somewhere along the line I lost my rear parking lights. The fronts work but not the rears. What could I be missing? How can I be sure it's not coming from the steering column? The right blinker always works now and the left is still acting like there is a burnt out bulb. (I checked them all) Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when your lights go off do they (when they are supposed to be on) go completly off or do they dim to the point you can barly see them. if they dim and make other ones go on it always has been a ground problem when i had to deal with the stuff, when you reground the wires make sure you get clean metal, no paint, rust or white powdery stuff. if thats not it than you got a heck of a job on your hands, following the wires is no fun, did it, didn't like it.
most recently i had a problem with my reverse lights going on when i put lights on (not always but when they felt like it) believe it or not it was resedue in the trailer outlet (or whatever you call it, the one on the bumper you plug a trailer into) greenish whitish acidic liqid stuff collected in there and shorted out all three wires, melted one of the metal pieces too. cleaned it out, cloged it with havy amounts of greese, never happened again, but than again you said you disconnected it so that can't be it.

Will work for mods

Current mods--> 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts