Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this will probally piss many people off but after many of the posts that I've read lately I think it's appropriate.

Beer and 4wheeling do not go together.

Many people continue to post stories about drinking their beer and then wheeling. I think it's really irresponsible to encourage drinking and wheeling. Let alone talk about "all the beer cans that fell out, or all the beer cans that we through." Wake up. This is the reason trails close. Trash and injuries. Beer belongs at the end of the day not the middle of the mud pit.
And further if you have the time to talk and write about all the trash then take the time to pick it up!
I can't think of any "legal" places in MD to wheel and I hate to see VA or PA follow suit.
I'll step down from my soapbox now.

G

·
No argument here. I have such a hard time trying to explain to some guys in our various race sanctioning bodies that nobody will ever take us seriously until we outlaw alcohol from the pits (it is illegal in MY sanctioning body). And as inappropriate as alcohol is on the trail, it's even MORE inappropriate in the race pits.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Sad too... some people seem to think "hmmm.... no drinking & driving on the road, but it is ok to drink & drive on the trail" like being on the trial all the sudden makes it ok?

I could go into the whole thing on that fact that driking is for weak people, but I wouldn't want to start THAT war /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

<a href="http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota">

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, Thanks for being the first to negatively respond.

Lindy,
Handle what? drinking, trowing trash, picking it up, closing trails.
Are you encouraging drinking, closing trails, trash. What?
Just tell me that you take all your empties and pick up other trash when you leave.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Funny one man....

I don't care if you drink, but don't act like you should be proud that you are CONTROLLED by a stupid beverage...

You think drinking is something to be proud of? Been there, done that. dranksome in high school... some more in college...

Might I just paraphrase a verse from the Bible:
"When I was a child I did childish things. When I became a man, I put away childish things"

Told you I didn't want to get into this, but you had to reply, didn't you /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif See what you made me do?

<a href="http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota">

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come on, how could I not respond. I think most of us like to drink. I think thats why we came up with the idea of camping, most of the major holidays and divorce!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Since when is it illegal to have a couple of drinks and drive? Be responcible for yourself and forget being judgemental. I've flown
medevac for 14 years and I know what drinking and driving can do. I'm saying if you can't handle it, nobody is going to force you
or anybody else to drink, and i've never seen any encouragement on this post. Maybe we should just censor the word beer from
this forum.

G

·
Hey DRM, just because drinking is not for you don't attack
people who do drink occasionally. Americans have some strange
attitudes about drinking. (and sex but we won't go into that)
The fact is anything, when done to excess is harmful and there
is a time and a place for everything. And there is nothing more
annoying than being stuck behind a belligerent drunk in a broken Jeep
on Caddilac hill btw.
Gibby

~Someone's got to keep the
bastards on their toes~
-HST

G

·
Even small amounts of alcohol can impair judgement. Many years ago, when I thought it was OK to have a beer or 2 and 4 wheel
we had a very harrowing experience. We were on a shelf trail in the Patagonia Mtns. in S. AZ, pretty steep and loose. Well,
having had a couple beers, sunny hot afternoon, I didn't feel like getting out and locking up as we were about to go up a very steep
loose section. About halfway up forward motion stopped, we started sliding backwards and ended up sideways on a trail that wasn't
any wider than the Jeep was long. After sitting there for several minutes of breath catching it took about 10 more minutes to
get out of that predicament. I don't know to this day how we didn't end up at the bottom of the canyon. Anyway, since that day
15 years ago, POSITIVELY NO ALCOHOL UNTIL ALL THE WHEELING IS DONE FOR THE DAY!

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Hey a 6 pack of beer durring a 4 hour trail ride is not going to get you looped,unless its your 1st time you ever cracked a cold one. But if you dont feel you can handle it,fine dont do it. There are no laws against having a drink and driving, there are laws against getting drunk and driving.
Tex, is absolutely right that beer does not belong in the pits, but the fact that some people do it anyway has probably resulted in an extra half dozen trophies in my cabinet.
Trail rides and camping especialy unsanctioned, is no one elses buisness what Im doing. Getting drunk and just drinking some beers are two different things altogether.
Littering thats a whole other issue on its own. Dont do it Beer cans,soda cans,candy bar wrappers, whatever. And I have packed out more litter than I have seen anyone else do on the trail,if for no other reason than I pick up whenever I go out and I go out more than most people. Whats that got to do with beer.
So whats your real concerne here?
Littering: BAD / Dont do it in any form.
Getting Stone Drunk on the Trail: BAD / Its not wise and may endanger others.
Having a Beer on the Trail: MIND YOUR OWN BUISNESS!!!
I dont need my last refuge from an overmonitered society,chasing me back into the back country, to scrutinize, preach to or annoy me in any way. Later,
Jeff
89 Wrangler

Song Lyrics:"He cant even run his own life I'll be damned if he'll run mine".

G

·
I don't know what the laws are like in other states, but here in FL, you can bet that if you have one beer and immediately get in your car and immediately get pulled over, you'll blow over the legal amount of BAC. That's a guarantee if you are of average stature. That basically makes it illegal, I would imagine. BAC here is .08%. That's two beers in one hour.

Otherwise, if you don't endanger me on the trail, you're only endangering yourself if you get looped out there. To each his own..

Where's that Sam Adams? Oh wait, it's only 3:30.. hehe..

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

·
Registered
839 Posts
To Carl
" if you have one beer and immediately get in your
car and immediately get pulled over, you'll blow over the legal amount of BAC." Not even close,even in Florida. Unless you
weigh 20 pounds or less.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
In Maine it's .08 as well, tough law, and they take it very seriously. Up here you can get busted for an open container, driving to endanger, and reckless conduct with a motor vehicle. See, they have other ways of getting at you. BTW, you can get busted for all of the above FOR OPERATING ANY MOTOR DRIVEN MECHANISM AT ANY TIME ANYWHERE, like a lawn tractor, farm implement, or ATV. You can operate a walk behind mower, but it's hard to drink and walk. My brother was busted his second time for wheeling his truck on PRIVATE land and having the police show up. Lost his license for 5 years. A friend of my brothers lost his for the 4th time, instant felon, no more hunting with a firearm. My brother doesn't drink and drive anymore, but luckily drunk on a bicycle isn't illegal, even on a public way, go figure. There is no public intoxication law (yet).

Now I like a cold beer as well, but due to my fear of the police, I don't risk it. Will one hurt me, or two? Not at my weight. BTW, the police aren't going to be in the woods, I know this, but the Game Wardens are, and guess who has more power (no illegal search and seizure possible, no warrant needed). I save all my drinking for the apres-jeep.

Personally, I don't have a problem with people drinking on the trail, as long as it's not to excess. A cold one at lunch? Go ahead, I'll wait. As to the litter problem, yep, Scramblers tend to become the garbage truck by the end of the trail, but the bed washes out easily. I despise people who litter while wheeling, makes me want to haul out the 9mm and start shooting. Why? If it's your right to litter it's my right to put a few into you, helps clean up the environment.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
I don't think that the issue here is whether it is the first time you have cracked a cold one or not. It is just a matter of respect. If you drink and drive that is your business, on or off the trail. But when you do drink and drive on the trails you have just increaced the chance that you will do something stupid to your rig or someone elses. Your drinking might not directly hinder your off-road driving skills but the less experienced drivers will think that drinking and driving is the way to go. All I am saying is this, be mindful of who you influnce with your actions, you never know who is watching or how impressionable they are.

I'm not bashing the drinkers, I enjoy it my self. I'm asking the drinkers to drink "responsibly"

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI

G

·
As an EMT, I have seen the results of operating all sorts of equipment in an altered state. Anyone who uses anything more than a can opener while under an influence of alcohol, drugs, etc. is a great candidate for the DARWIN AWARD.

If you want to get soused - fine. Just clean up after yourself.
Soused and drive down the road - I'll follow you and lead the police right to your back bumper. While your time is flowing away waiting for the breathalizer, paper work, judge, etc. I'll drive my 1-year-old around in greater security.
If your soused and off-road - fine. BUT, if you hurt yourself (or your vehicle), I may just take my time getting around to help you. Hey, you ruin your day, don't ruin mine.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Jeff
I have to ask this..............WHERE YOU BEEN?

". There are no laws against having a drink and driving, there are laws against getting drunk and driving."

Most states have a law against drinking and driving,,,, hence the term DUI which means driving under the influence, as opposed to the DWI term (driving while intoxicated). Most states do enforce both laws. An occasional drink is okay but when you have to keep good judgement and control of a situation that could be hazardous to yourself or others I hope you would make a good choice on what to do. I like a drink as much as the next guy but there is a place and time for it. Behind the wheel of a vehicle of any type is not the place for it. For that matter alcohol and guns don't mix either and we won't go there. Just my 2 cents
GP'n

G

·
Drinking and wheeing is not illegal. The only problem is, some people don't knowwhat a healthy amount is. Around here, the best trails are going to be on a membership basis, at a fee of $100 a year. That is not an astronomicla fee, but it used to be free. Why did the government do this? Because they found beer cans along the trails, and there were several horrible accidents that tore apart the land and killed some drivers. These accidents were caused by alcohol.

Now I know most of y'all 'wheel to relax, which is the same reason y'all drink, but it is possible to drink too much, and any rational person will know their own limit.

The only way we can keep trails open is to be responsible. Be it with trash, ruts, or drinking. There are many people who want to outlaw off-roading. If we show them that it is a perfectly environmentally safe and we participants are thinking adults, trails will stay open and good will prevail.

Ed

I live, I breath, I Jeep

G

·
In reply to:

Not even close,even in Florida. Unless you
weigh 20 pounds or less.
With all due respect, I work in the legal field. The fact of the matter is that you can busted for DUI even if you blow less than .08%. I've seen it happen and I've seen judges convict people of this. I saw a guy in court get convicted for sleeping it off in the parking lot of the bar he was in. He had the keys in his hand passed out. The sherriff said he had control and possession of a motor vehicle and could have driven off if he wanted to. I've seen a guy get convicted after putting his keys in the glove compartment to sleep it off. I've seen someone get convicted after throwing his keys out the window with the specific intent of NOT getting busted for DUI. I've seen someone get their case thrown out of court cause they blew over .08% after spraying Binaca in their mouth. Go figure.. Furthermore, breathalyzers here aren't calibrated properly. There are 250 plus cases being dismissed in Sarasota County alone due to improperly trained police officers. Any public defender could get you off with a "wreckless endangerment" charge in that situation. DUI boils down to one thing, MONEY. And once again, I'm standing fast that you can blow a .08% after just one beer, especially if you get busted right after that beer. You can easily blow .08% after 2 beers to be sure.

I guarantee you if you go out in Tampa, FL to a bar, have a beer and blow into the breathalyzer, you'll blow over .08%. Guarantee it. Ask any public defender or criminal defense attorney and they'll tell you it happens routinely. I'm here to tell you that if you have ONE beer, you run the risk of going to jail. Just watch it and never, ever, ever get out of your car if you even think there's a remote chance of you getting busted.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
Ed, I don't know where you are, but in Kalifornia we have a law against an open container even if you are off-road. This means anywhere
in the state.

Gary

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.