Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the hood of my recently aquired CJ-7 today and found the source of my exhaust leak. There is an emissions tube that runs from the side of the catalytic convertor, along the head pipe into the engine compartment. There is the remains of a rusted out air valve on the end of it, but no hose or other connection that this runs to. It pumps exhaust straight from the cat under the hood! Does anyone know where this is supposed to go? My '83 CJ-7 has a 258, all stock, with a TF 999 auto. This motor doesen't have an air pump (did it used to?). I am very mechanically inclined, but this is my first Jeep and the maze of hoses and wires is kind of overwhelming! My Chiltons manual doesen't even show this pipe in any diagrams.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I DO believe that what you have there is a catalytic converter which is actually for a later model Jeep. That air pipe goes to the center of the two-stage catalytic converter and is supposed to be hooked to the air injection system on the six-cylinder Jeep. You say you have NO air injection system? Oh, you bad, bad, guy. Give me your street address so I can rat you out to the black helicopters and the UN troops, you enemy of the state you./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave & Mudman, I went to http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/pulseair.htm and it showed my system. But where the drawing shows this pipe going to either the exhaust pipe OR the convertor, I have both. They apparently both go to the base of the air cleaner, as I have two 3/4" hose fittings on my air cleaner. This is in place of the air pump used on some models (so dont send out the black helicopters yet Dave!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif). Thanks for all your help guys. I don't know what I'd do without the information available on this BBS. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G

·
My 86 Eagle had a pipe from converter too,had a valve on the end beside motor,had 2 hoses from air cleaner,if i remember right,connected to
each other with some sort of tin can,engine mounted with hose fittings on top and one on the bottom,and it didnt have a pump from factory

1 - 5 of 5 Posts