Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
88 YJ - I am trying to locate the MCU under the dash near the blower where the manual tells me to look. I do not see/ recognize it . Can anyone guide me as to exact location , shape , size, color , connectors, etc. so I can find it ? Is it possible to test whether it is functioning ? I suspect that it is not functioning as I am not getting any juice to most of the terminals at the Diagnostic Connector Boxes #1 and #2 . I just cleaned Ground # 302 behind the ignition coil mounting location in hope that the MCU was not well grounded and that things would change . No luck. The most baffling part is that the Jeep now runs almost perfectly since I disconnected the O2 sensor yesterday. I am tempted to ignore all , but my gut says things are not right, better check it out. Any ideas regarding replacement cost ?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Should be behind the glovebox.

85 CJ-7 258/T176/D300 Scout D44s F&R with Lock-Rites and 4.56 gears. 4" springs with lift shackles 36" SS TSL Radials Hella Rallye 4000s for guiding small planes into the woods

·
Registered
236 Posts
Stillearning6,

The computer is a metal box right above the heater behind the glovebox. It's about the size and shape of a 200 page book. Just look for the cluster of wires entering the passenger compartment next to your battery and follow them to the MCU.

If you're not getting juice at those diagnostic connectors, that probably means the MCU is shot. I've heard a factory replacement is upwards of $250, but I got a functioning one on eBay for $1. A lot of guys have them laying around after converting to Fuel Injection. Once you find it, switching it out is a cinch.

TEXAS1AL

84 CJ-7; 258 I6; Restored-to-Stock Condition

1 - 4 of 4 Posts