Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you \"mount\" or put your spare parts ?

Hey all,

I carry a bunch of spare parts for my CJ7. Spare Axles front/back, driveshafts, Tie Rod's, Starter, etc.

I am trying to figure out the best way to "mount" the axles, drive shafts and tie rods.

I remember seeing people mount stuff under their jeep inside the frame rail. Anybody else do this?

I have a full cage so I have also been thinking of maybe mounting them to it somehow.

Any suggestions? It would really give me a lot more room for storage of other stuff.

What are you guys doing with yours?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Where do you \"mount\" or put your spare parts ?

Build an off-road trailer out of some old front axles from a 2 wheel drive and the back half of an old CJ frame.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

As you can see by my original post, I am looking for a way to mount my spare parts to MY JEEP. Plowing through the mud or while on the trail a trailer would not be a good idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I don't have a back seat in my jeep. I do have a rack mounted back there for gas, water, tool box etc.

I am looking for ideas on "mounting" spare parts on the jeep.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

I carry a complete short, long side front axle shaft, short shovel, fire extinguisher, tie rod & drag link on various tubes of the roll cage. I wrap the splines with duct tape, and hose clamp them on. I have a long slip d-shaft that works front or rear, it is attached to cage as well. Smaller parts & tools are kept in a tool box under the spare tire mount (horizontal above wheel wells) along with a plastic lidded tub that we put clothes in. My spare tire mount, is a spindle/hub/bearing assembly bolted to a flat plate on the cage. On longer runs a battery powered mig, air tools and vise mounted to 2" receiver go with me, on shorter close to the camp runs they stay in the tow rig. If all else fails, all my parts go int he back of a friends Toy p/u

I have also seen stuff mounted on frame rails, across bumpers, in large PVC tubes, rubber MAG lite clamps, hose calmps, zip ties and bailing wire to attch to cages, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks, Im actually looking to see if anybody had a "special" way of mounting the parts to the jeep, not using hose clamps. Im looking more towards making clamps or something that will get welded either on the cage, or along the frame rails.

I haven't measured yet but for example, I am thinking of mounting my spare tie rod on the cage under the windshield. I am thinking of welding a bolt at each end on the underside (against the dash) That way I can bolt it to the cage. Its not often that I am going to need it and that would be out of the way.
I don't even know if it will fit under there yet though (I haven't measured)

I am trying to come up with ideas like this.

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I use some stuff called Unitstrut and different sized clamps for my front axle shafts. Unistrut is a steel channel system which uses all different kinds of clamps and brackets for commercial purposes of hanging pipes, electrical conduit, heat ductwork, etc. It used to be carried only in plumbing or electrical supply houses but I saw it in my local Home Depot the other day along with a limited variety of clamps.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Hey SnowTow...
What section were those unistrut clamps in at home depot? I have about 60 feet of the stuff at my house to play around with. I may have to do that to my jeep.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I believe it was in the plumbing section near the gas pipe. Could have been electrical though. I tend to wander around in there a lot!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Yeah, there we go, now thats kinda what I am looking for. Thanks for the info, I will check out my home depot and go from there. Thats probably not something I would mount under the jeep but its a start.

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.